Painted power tools / color coordinated shop

treesner

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

April Wilkerson painted some of her tools. I'd rather make stuff then paint tools..

As mentioned by kev, likely done to avoid free advertisement or sponsorship issues. 

Except for touch ups as needed or restoration of old iron, shop made tools, any paint job that would look half way decent would take more work than it’s worth. 

16 minutes ago, JohnG said:

As mentioned by kev, likely done to avoid free advertisement or sponsorship issues. 

Except for touch ups as needed or restoration of old iron, shop made tools, any paint job that would look half way decent would take more work than it’s worth. 

I think some of that and some of it was when she picked up some older tools.

I like things to look nice, so if one of my machines got really horrid looking I'd maybe paint it. I don't do vintage machinery restoration, but I sure love to look at the pictures. Jack Forsberg is on another couple of forums & is a Wadkin nut through & through. He will take some old heap of rust & make it look better than it ever did. His repainting efforts are a big part of that.

If I had another 10 hours in the day I'd love to get into that sort of thing.

7 hours ago, drzaius said:

I like things to look nice, so if one of my machines got really horrid looking I'd maybe paint it. I don't do vintage machinery restoration, but I sure love to look at the pictures. Jack Forsberg is on another couple of forums & is a Wadkin nut through & through. He will take some old heap of rust & make it look better than it ever did. His repainting efforts are a big part of that.

If I had another 10 hours in the day I'd love to get into that sort of thing.

oh yeah restoration guys like to give their tools a fresh paint. always looks real nice 

6 hours ago, JohnG said:

you dont like the old shipyard look? 

00y0y_6HxcQkuIrEt_600x450.jpg

I have seen car and bike guys paint their shop to match their other gear.  I had not seen so many woodworking shops that way other than the tools themselves for folks who bleed one brand or the other ;-)  As treesner shows, this is a priority end of the hobby for some folks.  We all have different ways of enjoying our shops.  Folks who use their shops as part of their showroom or their "sales" image would certainly want things looking really tricked out.  Those who shoot videos have to take lighting and sound into account when they design and layout their work areas.  I'll impress myself if I ever swap out my plywood plane till for a furniture grade one.  Till I find the time or the inclination I will have to settle for 'form follows function' but, some of those 'chic accessorized' shops look pretty cool.

• Like 1