Stringing, Fluting, Beading and such

Chip Sawdust

So in my quest to “be like Steve” I made this back-saving mini bench. It’s great for this detail work. Two things it does: saves my back from bending over the main workbench for stringing and banding, and also brings the work closer to my aging eyeballs so it’s easier to see. 

The Yost 7” vice was $60-something on Amazon; the bench was made with scraps. The plan calls for an awesome piece of 1 1/2” x 9 1/2 cherry, but no, I couldn’t bring myself to do that even if I were more cash flush. I used a pine 2x6 and a 2x4, with a strip of white oak to make the bench 9 1/2” wide, then topped it off with scrap 3/4” plywood to make it thick enough. I like it! 

540C3B98-3446-4B59-A849-285285F6700A.jpeg

821BFB96-9F78-43EE-A583-3217DA3474A2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So true, Slayer, so true. 

I will get my new gouges tomorrow and make that cut that’s staring me in the face. I’ll have to sharpen them first though. But I think so far I’m satisfied with my first attempt. 

There will be at least 6 maybe 10 or more of these fans (I may attempt an oval if I get inspired) for the sofa table I’m making, so I’ll get a little practice anyway. 

I was going to try maple for these fan blades, but I used holly instead as it seems more consistent. But I will experiment with different woods, maybe even darker woods, to see what kind of effect I can get. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do that, but maybe they tried and found it was a waste of time. 

27 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Thanks for posting all the pictures.   I've seen it done in books, but seeing someone post pictures here, of the process, is Much better!  That fan is going to be gorgeous.

I’ll try to post in a sequence that makes sense. I searched this site for fan inlays, ovals, that kind of thing and never found anything so I thought what the heck, I’ll do this. I’m glad you’re getting something out of it :)

So today I received my new gouges. Tried the #7-20, then the #5-20, ended up using my little #3-10. Bob said he uses an 8-13 but alas, that one won’t arrive till the end of the month (Woodcraft), so I couldn’t wait. They’ll get better but frankly I think I can make this first one work. 

In any case it makes a good test piece. 

B66D7B5D-0683-4548-84D9-D0A94E79A767.jpeg

• Like 1

So here’s an easy way to screw up :) 

i cut the black anigre too soon. After applying the veneer tape then trying to peel off the oainter’s tape, those pieces were just too small to stick well to the veneer tape. 

Time to start over with that part of it. Had I read Bob’s instructions I wouldn’t have done it wrong but hey - I sometimes get carried away!

image.jpg

17 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Did you happen to buy slipstones as well? Sharpening gouges is a skill that eludes me....

No as a matter of fact I sharpen the curved parts by hand. I grab my 1200 Arkansas and put the chisel, point up, in my vice. Then I slide the stone at a (try to be) precise angle around the bevel. I’m just making a microbevel this way. 

Then i strop it with three grades of compound and they cut pretty well. For the inside, depending on the arc of the gouge I wrap the leather around a dowel; for smaller diameters I just roll a fold in it, caught in the vice, and strop it that way  

Slipstones May be in my future but for now, this works. I had a slipstone around here 25 years ago I wonder what I did with it? Lol

image.jpg

• Like 1

By the way, great value on the Schaaf gouges. “They” (who know better) say don’t buy sets, but for $80 on Amazon with a ton of good reviews I figured why not? 

Here’s one next to a “Swiss made” gouge. The Pfeil has a better presentation/finish, but they both cut fine. Time will tell on how long an edge lasts, but in sharpening the gouges I was encouraged by the feel of the metal against the stone. 

79E5BAD7-6921-4C00-B9A2-C6DB77745D3C.jpeg

• Like 1

So once the painter’s tape is off, I put shipping tape on a couple pieces of plywood to serve as nonstick cauls. Slap some Titebond II (my personal go-to for general work) on the 1/16” veneer and on the shell then clamp it. Van Dyke uses hide glue but I’m not that traditional (and I don’t have any). 

In Latta’s videos about gluing banding, he says pressure evenly when clamping but not too much. Juuuuust right! :) 

908E9B85-CBE9-4D35-8825-883AE0E595FC.jpeg

4C9B6152-E2D1-4EB3-8DF6-B5E3D6980401.jpeg

• Like 2

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 66 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian