Chip Sawdust

Reloading bench and utility desk

I was able to shoot a couple Beretta's this spring when I was in the market for an O/U they were really nice! Ultimately I went with a Browning Citori and love it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

The primers are pretty new, bought sometime during the Obama administration

That era SUCKED. but i have maybe 10,000 primers because of that. I bought as many as i could when stock finally hit shelves. That era was great for gun makes they made a lot of money back then.

Interesting i used Green Dot for my .45 acp loads can't remember why i chose it over red dot. I never thought about pistol powders being good for shotgun but i suppose they operate similarly. Burn the powder as fast as possible. If you keep posting reloading picture you might motivate me to set up my own bench.... :D.

• Like 1

Chip Sawdust Curious what you figure a box costs you? I used to reload when I was a kid but when I got back into trap/doubles leagues 2 years ago I just started buying shells by the case at Fleetfarm @ $5.25 a box.  Just curious what a box of reloads cost at current rates.

I just received this today, really looking forward to dialing in my trap and doubles shooting

IMG_5854.JPG.92a700e876985e3c6ecd49d52e26c7be.JPG

My wife bought it for me for our anniversary...but don't tell her as she may not be aware of that :D

• Haha 2

Search "reloading calculator" and you find a sackful of websites. It is cheaper to reload and part of the fun of shooting. Grandkids are getting into reloading. Good time with them and I don't have to wonder where they are.

I saw a DIY shot tower for $300 several years ago.

Edit- Holding out for a Kreighoff San Remo 4 gauge skeet set. Saw one advertised for $75K. Also got to HOLD a Holland & Holland .410 bore SXS at their NYC showroom. In 1998, it was $71,500. I'll go over to my safe, open it and kiss my Remington 1100! Might trade it as it misses targets.:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

Search "reloading calculator" and you find a sackful of websites. It is cheaper to reload and part of the fun of shooting. Grandkids are getting into reloading. Good time with them and I don't have to wonder where they are.

I saw a DIY shot tower for $300 several years ago.

Edit- Holding out for a Kreighoff San Remo 4 gauge skeet set. Saw one advertised for $75K. Also got to HOLD a Holland & Holland .410 bore SXS at their NYC showroom. In 1998, it was $71,500. I'll go over to my safe, open it and kiss my Remington 1100! Might trade it as it misses targets.:P

Thanks! 

After 40 years of shooting  Remington 870's I switched to a Browning Citori last year strangely enough it still misses targets :D

On 2/21/2020 at 9:37 AM, pkinneb said:

Chip Sawdust Curious what you figure a box costs you?

I can’t really say with today’s prices because I bought most of these supplies 15 years ago. I stopped shooting for a long time, but with this new to me shotgun today I went out and did five trap rounds! 
Since I didn’t buy this stuff recently I call it all free right now :) Free is good. Ask me again in a few months. More than that actually because my $46 jug of red dot still has a lot in it and I have two jugs of it. I’ll have to buy wads and later on some shot, but I had 75# of shot sitting around that I’ve lugged around through three or four houe moves. I’m still not through the first one as I only loaded 250 rounds in the past few days and 25# does more than that many rounds. For trap I load about 1-1/8 oz/round. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:45 PM, Chip Sawdust said:

I finally got around to loading some trap shells for the Beretta, which is the first time I’ve loaded shotgun shells in ages! But the dovetail/wedge idea worked like a champ once I mounted my little Mec600 on it. So far I’ve only loaded 200 of the 5-600 hulls I've had laying around forever, but that’s enough to go shooting this weekend - finally. 
A little illustration of the setup...

4914606F-4C2C-4618-B62A-113F967C23F4.jpeg

I’m using components I bought over 10 years ago so to me it seems like free stuff :) That jug of Red Dot has a price on it of about $46 of that gives you any indication of its era. The wads and lead are as old. The primers are pretty new, bought sometime during the Obama administration :) 

AA hulls will last a life time. Duct tape added will extend that to forever. ;)

20 hours ago, Coop said:

AA hulls will last a life time. Duct tape added will extend that to forever. ;)

Haha I don’t know about duct tape, but you’re right, the AA hulls are absolutely the most durable. I don’t know how many times I’ve reloaded those, but they’re like the Times watch of hulls. Or the Eveready batteries. Something like that :) 

One of my shooting buddies who also had a 12GA gave me all his hulls, not AA but now I have even more empties to load, whew! Now around 750...

Saved Remington STS hulls from F&G agency workshops for HE instructors. Have about 2K empties. Used to shoot competitive trap and bought the MEC 9000 progressive reloader. Much faster than the 650 Junior!

AAs are great. Had some that I tossed after many years when the crimps turned black (Red Dot- nastiest powder on the market) and looked like tulip petals.

How did we get off the bench thread??? Good woodworking and grind up the clays!

Lol @Bankstick reloading seems like a natural extension to a thread about a reloading bench :) I don’t shoot enough to justify a progressive but if I did it competitively for sure that would pay for itself quickly. 
Lately I’ve done more model building on that bench than reloading but I do need another reload session pretty soon. Since I went shooting last weekend the bug has re-bit me. 

• Like 1