..Kev

New Table Saw

I have a Wixey on the tablesaw and the batteries last 6 to 9 months.  An iGaging on the planer and they seem to last a year or more.  I'm pathetic; I write the date on the batteries . . . and on shop lamps, when I install them.  This varies by season as batteries don't care for the cold (or what wee call cold) so much.  The Beall tilt box uses a 9 volt which lasts very well and reads to two decimal places which I find I like better than my Wixey tilt box that died many years ago.  Accuracy specs are about the same as the Wixey.

As to becoming accustomed to them being there . . .  I actually approach operations on the tablesaw with the DRO in mind, I trust the planer DRO implicitly and the tilt box gets me quickly (and pretty accurately) in position at the jointer, drill press, bandsaw and tablesaw

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pkinneb said:

X2 I don’t ever recall changing them lol I should probably due that. I just had an issue with my tractor battery my mechanic brother asked how olds the battery I said a couple years. Turns out it was 8 years old...he just laughed and said that I had gotten my money’s worth out of that battery. New battery tractor runs fine :)

My old pickup made it 12 years between battery changes., 8 years doesn't seem like enough :P.

11 hours ago, drzaius said:

Short battery life in digital readouts seems to be common. I have an igaging caliper that burns through them quickly. My Wixey fence readout uses 2 AAA batteries so hopefully they'll last a bit longer. I installed it several months ago & it's still good.

Despite people not liking him AvE did a comparison between the inexpensive calipers and the expensive ones. The main difference was the current draw. I have a mitutoyo caliper and I'm on the stock battery from 4 years ago. Dang i probably should replace that battery. The interesting part in his study was that on or off the inexpensive calipers draw the same current. The Mittutoyo draws only like15% less when turned off so the morale is turning the caliper off doesn't really save a whole lot. I guess i don't know anything about igaging and if it's quality brand or not so I'm not passing judgement on them.

Most of the DROs use similar tech to digital calipers.

Just as a bit of a followup on the new saw, it looks like the power switch went out on a brand new saw.

I just got off the phone with their tech services and they're shipping me a new switch.  

I had the electricians out to verify proper voltage at the plug which I didn't suspect was off as this was set up directly from the manual for this saw.  

The other finicky thing about this saw is that it requires the belt to be super tight.  1/64 detent!  

So, now I wait for a switch and then replace that.

What a bummer! I'm surprised buy the issues you've had hopefully this gets resolved and all is well for a long time. This seems pretty unusual for PM.

Sorry about your bad switch.  Im thinking you have 3 belts and to be honest I wouldn't have my belts that tight even if that's what it called for. . I think the most that could happen is it could slip and you would no it. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Did you have to mess with the belts for some reason? Do the saws still have more than 1 belt?

Just the one main drive belt and it was a bit loose from the factory.  The manual calls out to check it when setting up the saw.

45 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

What a bummer! I'm surprised buy the issues you've had hopefully this gets resolved and all is well for a long time. This seems pretty unusual for PM.

Yea, there were a few issues with this saw for sure.  Hopefully replacing the switch does the trick and it lasts me for many many years.

19 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Sorry about your bad switch.  Im thinking you have 3 belts and to be honest I wouldn't have my belts that tight even if that's what it called for. . I think the most that could happen is it could slip and you would no it. Just my opinion.

They call for that as I think it's actually tied to the switch somehow.  In other words, if it is slipping, the saw shuts off.  I could be wrong, but, when I first called with the issue, this was their first question.

• Like 1

Surprised only one belt on a 3hp saw. Not saying there is something wrong with that Kev. Id love to have it.

1 minute ago, mat60 said:

Surprised only one belt on a 3hp saw. Not saying there is something wrong with that Kev. Id love to have it.

It is a pretty good sized belt..

• Like 1

Is the belt one of those multi groove serpentine type belts? If so, every machine I've seen with them has the belts very tight. My saw has 2 of them; one from the motor to a jack shaft & another from that shaft to the arbor pulley. Both are very tight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Is the belt one of those multi groove serpentine type belts? If so, every machine I've seen with them has the belts very tight. My saw has 2 of them; one from the motor to a jack shaft & another from that shaft to the arbor pulley. Both are very tight.

Yes.  The manual calls for 1/2" detent but, their tech services called for much tighter.

• Like 1

Just an update on this saw..  Motor went out yesterday..  I certainly hope I just got a lemon and other's aren't having my issues!

• Sad 1

Man you just can't get a break with that saw! I hope they are at least treating you well at this point I'm surprised it hasn't been replaced.

3 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Man you just can't get a break with that saw! I hope they are at least treating you well at this point I'm surprised it hasn't been replaced.

PM just keeps sending parts and a repair guy.

I'd have to go through Acme to get a refund but, I did reach out to them this morning.

It's really a crappy deal!  To get service, you have to deal with PM.  To get a refund, you have to deal with the vender because PM doesn't do direct sales.  PM comes off as the good guy for supplying replacement parts while the poor vendor gets egg on their face for selling a complete POS product.  Meanwhile, I'm without the saw for weeks on end.

Keep that in mind if you're buying PM products!  In Hindsight, I wish I'd of sent the saw back at the first sign of issue.

I just don't see me buying anymore PM products.  The old PM reliability is just not there!

I'd love to have a PM jointer or drum sander in my shop, but for the price premium I'd expect SawStop like quality & service. I've just read too many horror stories about PM in the last couple of years to risk it.

My only experience with them was when I was shopping for a table saw. A call with questions to customer service was met with borderline rudeness and a lack of product knowledge. I bought a SawStop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ..Kev said:

PM just keeps sending parts and a repair guy.

I'd have to go through Acme to get a refund but, I did reach out to them this morning.

It's really a crappy deal!  To get service, you have to deal with PM.  To get a refund, you have to deal with the vender because PM doesn't do direct sales.  PM comes off as the good guy for supplying replacement parts while the poor vendor gets egg on their face for selling a complete POS product.  Meanwhile, I'm without the saw for weeks on end.

Keep that in mind if you're buying PM products!  In Hindsight, I wish I'd of sent the saw back at the first sign of issue.

I just don't see me buying anymore PM products.  The old PM reliability is just not there!

That is really too bad especially for a guy who travels, when you're home you need the tools to work! 

• Like 1

Just an FYI..  ACME responded to me and they only warranty for 30 days.  After that, it's up to the manufacturer..  Keep that in mind it/when ordering from them.

Nothing like some finger pointing!

23 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

Just an FYI..  ACME responded to me and they only warranty for 30 days.  After that, it's up to the manufacturer..  Keep that in mind it/when ordering from them.

Nothing like some finger pointing!

It's a shame about all of the problems you've had with this machine - but I guess I don't think Acme's policy is unreasonable. 

On a product like this, where the retailer is just a reseller (as opposed to say, Sears selling Craftsman tools, back when they actually owned the Craftsman brand), I would assume that Acme's responsibility is to deliver the product in good working condition. 

If the product is damaged when it's delivered, that's either Acme's fault or their carrier - Acme should refund or replace and work out who's responsible between them and the carrier.  If the product is undamaged, but not working out of the crate, Acme should refund or replace, and work out the responsibility between them and PM.

For problems that develop a few months after delivery, it's hard to see how that's Acme's responsibility.  I'm sure that PM would prefer to fix the problem by replacing parts, given the cost of shipping a product like this, but when push comes to shove, they'll need to step up and replace the saw.  If you make a big enough fuss, you could probably get a refund, but I'd bet it will be a long, drawn out process.

4 minutes ago, G Ragatz said:

It's a shame about all of the problems you've had with this machine - but I guess I don't think Acme's policy is unreasonable. 

On a product like this, where the retailer is just a reseller (as opposed to say, Sears selling Craftsman tools, back when they actually owned the Craftsman brand), I would assume that Acme's responsibility is to deliver the product in good working condition. 

If the product is damaged when it's delivered, that's either Acme's fault or their carrier - Acme should refund or replace and work out who's responsible between them and the carrier.  If the product is undamaged, but not working out of the crate, Acme should refund or replace, and work out the responsibility between them and PM.

For problems that develop a few months after delivery, it's hard to see how that's Acme's responsibility.  I'm sure that PM would prefer to fix the problem by replacing parts, given the cost of shipping a product like this, but when push comes to shove, they'll need to step up and replace the saw.  If you make a big enough fuss, you could probably get a refund, but I'd bet it will be a long, drawn out process.

I agree with this whole heartedly!  

The issue is the finger pointing between PM and ACME.  I tend to side with ACME as I think PM doesn't give a rat's back side about their customers!

You can say ass on here, my permission! They deserve it. Sorry to hear of the recent problems bud. 

Caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Hard to believe the motor failed as it did. They usually either go out right off the bat or last for many years.

1 minute ago, drzaius said:

The video shows up as being private & I can't access it.

Apologies, try this..