Ronn W

Highly recommended

I have been meaning to post this for a while now.  I have found this book to be a great reference for furniture making: "Illustrated Cabinet Making" by Bill Hylton.  He touches briefly on furniture styles.  He talks about joints, sub-assemblies and full furntiure pieces with dozens of exploded view of furniture (with explanations).  He sticks with traditional joints and assemblies (no dominoes here).   This is not a step-by step "how to" book but rather a "this is how it is built" book. I have found it invaluable in understanding the inside of furniture rather than just the visible parts.  Highly recommended.  I would say that any level of furniture maker worker that is still learning will find this book valuable.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=illustrated+cabinet+making&crid=3I28YM207SX13&sprefix="Illustrated+Cabinet+%2Caps%2C154&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_20

Note:  I know that members will occassionally talk about a reference that they liked.  I wonder if It would be possible to have a category devoted to recommendations like these and allow others to "2nd the recommendation" or "like" it if they agree?

• Like 1

What a coincidence! I just bought this book about a month ago and I really like also. For me it helps understand what's going on with the inner workings of the furniture.

I picked up a copy last fall, based on a recommendation from someone here - maybe Chestnut?  I've used it several times for help with one design issue or another.  I'm hoping to try my hand at some kitchen-type cabinets later this year, and I know it's going to come in handy then.