TWW Outdoor Sitting Bench

davewyo

5 hours ago, Chet said:

This is the type of task where you just need to get in a mode with some nice music in the back ground and chip away at it.  You end up being done before you know it.  If your like me, the last few probably took about half the time as the first few.

Seat section looks like it came out real nice.

I tried working with Joe Bonamasso on the stereo, I had to recut to much stuff.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, JBag09 said:

That bench looks outstanding. Great job on the M&T’s. This is a great project to build. What type of finish are you thinking?

I’ve built about 10 of these so far. People seem to love them around their fire pits. Made all mine out of Mahogany scraps from work (ya I know, very lucky) and made some Sipo dominos also from scrap from work. Just used Cabot’s deck stain as the finish since they would be outdoors anyway. They’ve held up very well so far after about 3 years. 

Thank you JBag.

I've been trying to use some finishes that I have on hand rather than buy something new, but I'm not going so far as to put on an inappropriate product just so I can use up what I have.

So...I am thinking of using some Hope's 100% Tung Oil that I got a while back. Or alternatively I'm thinking of buying some kind of outdoor deck oil like Thompson's or the like. I'm certain that I don't want any type of finish which builds up a film, mainly because I plan on re-oiling the bench on a yearly basis and I don't want to strip any old finish which has flaked or lifted in any way.

Can you go into more detail as to how the Cabot's held up over time? Have you refinished the benches at all? Are they dry looking or discolored? Does this deck stain have any pigment in it? I'm looking for a clear oil without any varnish.

Thanks, Paul. I don't recall you having any trouble getting nice clean joinery. All of your projects appear to be top notch to me, so your aspirations are coming true.:)

I had to play a couple of Y-Tube videos to find out who Bonamassa is too.

7 hours ago, davewyo said:

Thank you JBag.

I've been trying to use some finishes that I have on hand rather than buy something new, but I'm not going so far as to put on an inappropriate product just so I can use up what I have.

So...I am thinking of using some Hope's 100% Tung Oil that I got a while back. Or alternatively I'm thinking of buying some kind of outdoor deck oil like Thompson's or the like. I'm certain that I don't want any type of finish which builds up a film, mainly because I plan on re-oiling the bench on a yearly basis and I don't want to strip any old finish which has flaked or lifted in any way.

Can you go into more detail as to how the Cabot's held up over time? Have you refinished the benches at all? Are they dry looking or discolored? Does this deck stain have any pigment in it? I'm looking for a clear oil without any varnish.

The stain I used was Cabot’s Australian Timber Oil, Mahogany Flame I think was the color. I have our sitting in our breezeway so it’s not in direct sun much. But I’ve had to pressure wash it twice since the birds like to sit just above it. I think it has held up pretty well. It does get wet quite a bit when it rains or snows hard. I also used that stain on a Sipo deck railing I did. After 3 years I do need to restain it this spring but it’s held up better than others I’ve used. 

C453000C-0C43-469E-BFC6-F38EC190AB9A.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Dave another great project! Your work always has such crisp joinery something I aspire to create. Thanks for taking us along.

now I need to go gooogle this Bonamassa and makesure I’m not missing something lol

Oh, your missing something!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBag09 said:

The stain I used was Cabot’s Australian Timber Oil, Mahogany Flame I think was the color. I have our sitting in our breezeway so it’s not in direct sun much. But I’ve had to pressure wash it twice since the birds like to sit just above it. I think it has held up pretty well. It does get wet quite a bit when it rains or snows hard. I also used that stain on a Sipo deck railing I did. After 3 years I do need to restain it this spring but it’s held up better than others I’ve used.

That bench looks great! I might have to break down and buy a finish rather than use the Tung Oil.

I’m on my second gallon of the Australian Timber oil and really like it. The first project was a cedar gate six years ago and it still looks great. Second, third and fourth are cypress Adirondack chairs and table built 3 years ago. I guess, as they are horizontal, the finish didn’t hold as well and I just refinished them this year. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 3:57 PM, ..Kev said:

a good lesson that taking the time to do it right

Exceptional work.But not the only "right" way. If the wood breaks before the joint does, then it is right. Nothing wrong with keeping the tenon the full width. But not necessary for one of the multiple ways that is the right way. Since I have had the festool domino cutter my morticing machine and tenoning jig collects dust. Domino's are another right way.

After looking through ALL those DAMN tenon's, and knowing I would like to build this bench at some point, I'm thinking router with edge guideS, and stop blocks on the router table are in my future. I'm not specifically sure the time or steps it would save, but seriously, all those tennons give me anxiety in the going to a family reunion kind of way.