High gloss finishing on melamine surface , is it safe ?

Dear everybody, 

We are facing the concern about high gloss ( 90 sheen) finishing on the melamine surface. 

This is the first time we process it, and we don't know is it safe or not ? 
Somebody told us that is safe and faster than normal process, but some body told us it is very easy to peel off. 

So if anybody did this process before, please advice us about it, 

We are so appriciated your support. 

thank you for your time. 

Are you asking if you can spray finish on melamine and will it stick? If yes, I would say no you will not have a good experience. Although I have never purposefully sprayed melamine with finish I have used it for shop jigs and glue, finish, etc pops right off of it so i'm thinking it would be problematic. 

• Like 1

If you want to paint melamine, you pretty much need to sand it to the point where the finish can get a mechanical grip on it. I've done it a couple of times in a pinch by sanding with 120 grit to thoroughly scuff the surface, then applying a good primer followed by paint. I can't see spraying a gloss finish directly on it having good results.

• Like 1

Dear Saw Dust, 

Thank you so much for your advice, we did sanding the laminate surface  and applying primer as well. i hope it not gonna peel off the finishing. 

Becasue, as we know the laminate is the plastic so it quite difficult for mechanaical can grip on it same with MDF or veneer surface. 

What do you think about it, please advice me. 

Thank you so much. 

• 1 year later...