Northern Woods Exhibition

pkinneb

16 hours ago, Mick S said:

Congrats, Paul! Very impressive piece. Hopefully you'll not be shy about putting your next piece(s) in!

Thanks Mick!! Not at all, I knew the mistakes going in so honestly I didn't learn to much on my piece but hearing the critiques on others was very helpful for me in identifying issues and now knowing how to fix them.

13 hours ago, Chet said:

Thats some pretty positive feed back.  You have to be pretty happy with the results of your first entry.

"All edges are a bit too crisp"

Was this a suggestion to ease the edges a little more during finish prep?

13 hours ago, Mark J said:

Clearly these were former Soviet Olympic judges.  

"Edges a bit too crisp" :(!!  really

Re: the edges to crisp comment, Tom wasn't there so I didn't get a chance to ask him but having said that I can tell you its not something I would change regardless :) 

• Like 1

The judging they do is to a far higher level. A lot of the pieces at this exhibit are professionals best work so it can't be judged like a family member judges a piece of work. If they don't put something down for you to think about they probably aren't doing their job well enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

The judging they do is to a far higher level. A lot of the pieces at this exhibit are professionals best work so it can't be judged like a family member judges a piece of work. If they don't put something down for you to think about they probably aren't doing their job well enough.

Yeah that's the cool thing there are some really amazing pieces in the show. Having said that I would have liked to ask him what he meant becuase if he thought I should ease the edges on the drawer fronts for instance I would have said thanks for the input but no LOL. At the end of the day its still one persons opinion after all. I was just more curious about what he would have done differently so that I could contemplate whether I would have done it. The good news is it was Tom Casper who teaches at our Woodcraft on occasion and I still may get a chance to ask him :) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Yeah that's the cool thing there are some really amazing pieces in the show. Having said that I would have liked to ask him what he meant becuase if he thought I should ease the edges on the drawer fronts for instance I would have said thanks for the input but no LOL. At the end of the day its still one persons opinion after all. I was just more curious about what he would have done differently so that I could contemplate whether I would have done it. The good news is it was Tom Casper who teaches at our Woodcraft on occasion and I still may get a chance to ask him :) 

I agree knowing what he meant would be good to know. I didn't get a chance to feel the edges either. I also try and leave the drawer edges quite crisp for appearance purposes but still usually hit it with 220 by hand very lightly. It'd be interesting to know what he meant so i could learn from it as well so if you figure it out let me know.

• Like 1