walidantar

what would you prefer...

Recommended Posts

despite cost and money, if you can afford a premium - like veritas or any other - low-angle jack plane + skew rabbet plane or any dedicated plane for rabbeting, infront a jack rabbet plane what would you prefer to buy for your use

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skew rabbet. I use it for tenons and other stuff like that. For me it handles a lot nicer and doesn't blow out the back side of tenons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Skew rabbet. I use it for tenons and other stuff like that. For me it handles a lot nicer and doesn't blow out the back side of tenons.

Does it make much difference over a regular rabbet plane? I've got an old Stanley #78 I use, and more recently a large shoulder plane for that kind of thing. I guess I'm not usually that concerned about the appearance of tenons, and just chamfer the corners.

The Jack rabbet seems like a strange choice to me. I find I usually want a smaller rabbet plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, walidantar said:

despite cost and money, if you can afford a premium - like veritas or any other - low-angle jack plane + skew rabbet plane or any dedicated plane for rabbeting, infront a jack rabbet plane what would you prefer to buy for your use

You do not need “premium” tools to do good work. You do need the appropriate tool, and to learn to use it. Choose from a Veritas Skew Rabbet Plane, Stanley #78, Record #078 or #0778, and a range of woodies, such as those made by ECE and HNT Gordon. All of these can be purchased new, but also may be found used. The Stanley #78 is probably the most common, and will do a good job. 

I would not recommend planes like the Veritas Jack Rabbet for rebates. It is too wide and too long for the typical rebate. Ditto avoid rabbet block planes as they are also too wide and lack vertical orientation. Most rebates tend to be between 1/4” - 3/4” wide.

Once practiced, you could make a rebate using a shoulder plane. A shoulder plane is a good accompaniment for a rebate plane. I will generally use one to fine tune the rebate.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SawDustB said:
14 hours ago, Chestnut said:

 

Does it make much difference over a regular rabbet plane? I've got an old Stanley #78 I use, and more recently a large shoulder plane for that kind of thing.

I think the skew block is far easier to manage than a shoulder plane as it's not tall so you're less likely to taper the tenon. It's less about appearance and more about not breaking off a large part of the tenon and it just seems to have a bit more control. This is for tenons and rabbets. For truing up shoulders it probably wouldn't work well but i have good luck with a chisel there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.