Coyote Jim

Help with closing a small gap.

I just completed the assemble on my project and I have a 30 degree miter that has a bit of a gap:

IMG_20190422_081710.thumb.jpg.79b2f4e5582273c797a5c9f1b38cfa38.jpg

I'm not sweating it too much because this is a piece that will be for me and this gap is not in direct line of sight of the people who may see it.

But I would like to minimize it anyway. Any of you fine folks have some good advice to fill/hide this gap? It's red oak by the way, if that matters.

So you still have any sawdust from the project?  You could try filling it with a mixture of glue and sawdust.  Or fill it with a little bit of glue and then sand the surrounding area.  Otherwise SawDustB's burnishing trick might be the easiest way to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SawDustB said:

It's small enough you may be able to burnish the two edges using a round tool shaft and be able to close it. I've had some luck with wetting it a little to help it along.

I have never even heard of this technique. Didn't even know that was possible!

21 minutes ago, Byrdie said:

So you still have any sawdust from the project?  You could try filling it with a mixture of glue and sawdust. 

Just emptied the collector. I suppose I could just run a few off cuts through the table saw and gather some dust. Have you had much success with this technique?

Agree with the burnishing idea, works well. The wood fibers will deform and close the gap, very simple to do.

The appearance of a burnished miter may or may not work for you but, there is no harm in trying; just don't go overboard.  If running a round screwdriver shaft lightly along each face towards to opening closes it, you're golden.  If you have to really alter the meeting edges it can look worse than a saw dust fix. Give it a shot, just don't really lean into it.

On the upside you get to file away the learning experience. If it doesn't dry fit the way you want it, address that before the glue up.  Shop class or our dear old dad may have taught us that more clamps can cure all ills . . . later in life I found this not to be so true :D

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

So what's a good ratio of wood flour to sawdust to start out with?

No sawdust at all. Just wood flour. I thin out the glue just a bit & then stir in the flour. I should be quite thick & almost dry to the point of being a bit crumbly. Once cured it will be very solid & secure. Too much glue & it starts to look like... glue.

• Thanks 1

Just now, wtnhighlander said:

Pack the fine flour into the gap and saturate with CA.

that's the way i do it Ross, use the thin CA glue, sometimes i mix up a paste on scrap wood first and use something to put it in the crack split, knot whatever but you have to work fast.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I don't mix with wood glue. Pack the fine flour into the gap and saturate with CA.

I'm going to try that one. I've never been terribly satisfied with the yellow glue, despite much experimentation with ratios of water, glue & wood flour.

• Like 2

Now that you have a burnisher I think it's time to start figuring out card scrapers. They can be frustrating at first but once you get them they are a wonderful tool to have in the shop.