Lang's "Shop Drawings for Greene & Greene Furniture"

Chip did you happen to build some type of center support for your slats? I am finishing up a massive king size for myself and I'm pretty sure we're gonna need a center support beam. I'll probably build something self supporting and just place it in the center of the frame under the slats. Great looking work by the way!

16 hours ago, B. Brinkley said:

Chip did you happen to build some type of center support for your slats? I am finishing up a massive king size for myself and I'm pretty sure we're gonna need a center support beam. I'll probably build something self supporting and just place it in the center of the frame under the slats. Great looking work by the way!

I more or less followed the plan, which called for 3/4” plywood with some framing underneath. It’s hell fer stout, and heavy. You could use slats but I had higher confidence in the supported plywood. 

22 hours ago, Shane Jimerfield said:

Thanks. I'm in the data gathering phase. I've got the issue from FW, and the one from Woodworker's Journal. I like G&G furniture so I went ahead and ordered Lang's book.

Lang has three books I think - I have all of them. They’re all quite good I think. I’ve built several G&G pieces and also bought a set of square chisels from LV which were designed in collusion with Lang. They work well and come with two sharpening cones if you buy the whole set. I also use the cones for my mortiser bits :) 

The bed in my book "Shop Drawings for Greene & Greene Furniture" is shown in two widths; the originals were twins and I also included an adaptation to make it a modern queen size.

Credit for the square punches goes to my friend Darrell Peart. I used to use an old chisel from a hollow chisel mortiser until Lee Valley began producing Darrell's punches.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:23 AM, Bob Lang said:

The bed in my book "Shop Drawings for Greene & Greene Furniture" is shown in two widths; the originals were twins and I also included an adaptation to make it a modern queen size.

Credit for the square punches goes to my friend Darrell Peart. I used to use an old chisel from a hollow chisel mortiser until Lee Valley began producing Darrell's punches.

Ah Peart, yes thanks! I have those chisels and some of his books too. He’s up here in the Northwest too if I recollect correctly :) 

Bob I appreciate all I’ve learned from you, it’s made a big difference in my woodworking, thank you. 

Thanks Bob.

I've gathered your book, the FWW drawings from Jan 2013,  the Woodworker's Journal from 2015 and various photos.

In studying the three designs I think I like the FWW with the 6 slats on each side of the head/foot boards. For the the twin, 4 on each side looks well balanced, but 6 are needed for a queen in my opinion. I also really like the mitered and splined corners of the original as shown in your book, and in the FWW version.

My next big question, do I tackle the inlays? I think I will, but not copy the original bed, rather something with a dragonfly - that's my totem.

And thank you for all you've done for the WW Community over the decades, mad respect.

Cheers.