Bubble Cutting Board

Here are the measurements for each row. I used a 20% decrease between rows, but adjusted slightly to minimize waste. You have to make two boards - one with walnut at the center and the other with maple at the center. I made each one 9" long, 1.5" thick. You cut strips off each (at a bit over the thickness you are wanting), alternating from each board, rotate end grain up, trim to width, and glue. I did the glue up in phases so I could get the alignment dialed in. If you're thoughtful you can use cut-offs for a few of the smaller pieces. I started with 1.5" wide stock, and ended up with 13.1" x 13.1" x 1.2"  board. Don't ask me how it ended up over 13" - it's a mystery.

I'm trying to understand the steps here.  Your initial glue ups are just the alternating woods, cut at the widths you listed right?  Then you cut off the strips off these boards at slightly over the final thickness of your board?  Then you take these strips and rip them to those same widths, and then glue everything up? This sounds like you would end up with significant waste, corrrect?

Thanks for you help in this.

1 hour ago, Art said:

I'm trying to understand the steps here.  Your initial glue ups are just the alternating woods, cut at the widths you listed right?  Then you cut off the strips off these boards at slightly over the final thickness of your board?  Then you take these strips and rip them to those same widths, and then glue everything up? This sounds like you would end up with significant waste, corrrect?

Thanks for you help in this.

Yes that's right. There is indeed significant waste, which is why I did a little tweaking to the widths so I could use some of the off cuts for the narrower pieces. I also used a thin kerf blade. I thought about using the bandsaw, but wanted the precision and cleaner cuts from the tablesaw so that I would get all the corners to line up - and it did, mostly. If you look closely you can see minor misalignment here and there, but barely noticeable - certainly not to a bystander.

4 hours ago, Shane Jimerfield said:

Yes that's right. There is indeed significant waste, which is why I did a little tweaking to the widths so I could use some of the off cuts for the narrower pieces. I also used a thin kerf blade. I thought about using the bandsaw, but wanted the precision and cleaner cuts from the tablesaw so that I would get all the corners to line up - and it did, mostly. If you look closely you can see minor misalignment here and there, but barely noticeable - certainly not to a bystander.

Thanks.  I'll definitely be making one of these.