Classic Woodworking TV

Not the Tommy Mac version, but the one with Tom Laughlin. Most PBS shows can be watched online, but this one is only available on the FWW pay site. I used to subscribe to all the online content, but then they tripled the price to $99/year, so I'm outta there. Not nearly enough value.

42 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Not the Tommy Mac version, but the one with Tom Laughlin. Most PBS shows can be watched online, but this one is only available on the FWW pay site. I used to subscribe to all the online content, but then they tripled the price to $99/year, so I'm outta there. Not nearly enough value.

Tommy Mac was so ... East Coast. Bluster & all. Not my cup of tea.

The local PBS affiliate (WOSU) is looking to put Classic Woodworking and another they say is a "good companion program" on later this Summer. They have me curious.

The guys in Iowa (Woodsmith Shop) have a nice format but sometimes they come across as uncertain of themselves even though they clearly know what they're doing. Camera shy, it seems. A show from here in Ohio (American Woodshop) is ok but too craft-ish for my tastes. I watch him for his finish skills more than how he deals with live edge or his lathe.  (It is a bit odd that he covers the brands on all his equipment.)

I caught the first show of season 1 last Sunday.  Caught me by total surprise, it's sponsored by Fine Woodworking.  I'm looking forward to more of this.

I also caught the new Woodsmith Shop which aired right before Classic Woodworking.  It's a new format now with all new staff.  They brought back one guy but turned the rest of the staff over.  I think it's Christ Fitch but it's difficult to tell since there's little information available, my patience wears thin when I can't find something that should be so simple to find via Google.  You go to Chris Fitch's little blog site and there's no pic of him anywhere so it's anyone's guess who these people are.

17 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

I caught the first show of season 1 last Sunday.  Caught me by total surprise, it's sponsored by Fine Woodworking.  I'm looking forward to more of this.

I also caught the new Woodsmith Shop which aired right before Classic Woodworking.  It's a new format now with all new staff.  They brought back one guy but turned the rest of the staff over.  I think it's Christ Fitch but it's difficult to tell since there's little information available, my patience wears thin when I can't find something that should be so simple to find via Google.  You go to Chris Fitch's little blog site and there's no pic of him anywhere so it's anyone's guess who these people are.

Our local PBS station ran season 1 last year, when they were still calling it Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking.  I enjoyed all of the episodes.  I've only seen a couple of the older ones, with Tommy Mac, and I prefer McLaughlin's style.  I hope they're working on a second season.

There's a web site for Woodsmith Shop - https://www.woodsmithshop.com .  If you click on the "About the Show" tab, they have a picture of the hosts.  Our local station is currently running season 10 episodes (apparently, season 12 is the latest), and Chris Fitch is in them, but the other two guys are different.

The host has also a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/McLaughlinWoods and he does live session on a particular subject.  He did one on veneering (

) which I found  to be an excellent introduction and made it want to try it.  He is very enthusiastic and he does mentioned that he is using a tool xy, and that it was given to him, which is a change from all the youtuber with their bright colored square.ruler showing up on all of the channel lately.

20 hours ago, G Ragatz said:

Our local PBS station ran season 1 last year, when they were still calling it Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking.  I enjoyed all of the episodes.  I've only seen a couple of the older ones, with Tommy Mac, and I prefer McLaughlin's style.  I hope they're working on a second season.

There's a web site for Woodsmith Shop - https://www.woodsmithshop.com .  If you click on the "About the Show" tab, they have a picture of the hosts.  Our local station is currently running season 10 episodes (apparently, season 12 is the latest), and Chris Fitch is in them, but the other two guys are different.

Thanks G.  Funny how PBS determines who gets what and when.  Here in St. Louis we are up to date on Woodsmith Shop.  

On 5/8/2019 at 8:45 AM, collinb said:

I was in NOLA last week for a conference and one day had the TV on and came across the show.

Unfortunately it isn't on my local Create affiliate. Bummer.

At least the videos are online.

Good stuff.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/classic-woodworking/episodes

It looks like they decided to rename the show and dropped the Roughcut name.

I believe this is just the evolution of the previous "Rough Cut: Woodworking with Tommy Mac" , after the lawsuits between the parties were settled.  After getting rid of Tommy MacDonald and continuing the show with Tom McLaughlin (and keeping the "Rough Cut" name", MacDonald sued WGBH, who then countersued.  Apparently it was settled earlier this year, and it looks like as a result they've had to rename and rebrand the show.  Interesting that they've also had to go through all the old episodes and change them as well.