Cherry Wall Cabinet - Completed

JohnG

This is a project I’ve been loosely thinking about for a while, and am ready to get moving on it. The idea is a small(ish) wall cabinet to keep my main camera and most often used lenses and accessories in.

I have sketched out a few iterations and think I have landed on a design I like. Instead of making a full model in Sketchup/F360, I’m just doing paper design for this project. I sketched out some small rough ideas, a la Mike P., then used my favorite one to draw a full size sketch. It still leaves a lot to the imagination. Two doors open to reveal 3 shelves. Below the bottom shelf will be two small drawers for small items like batteries and SD cards.

As the title suggests, this will be made from Cherry. I’m wanting to do dovetail construction, but my lazy/cautious side is tempted to do box joints which I’m more comfortable with. I mention this to try to pressure myself into doing the dovetails. I’m considering making one or both of the top shelves adjustable, but am not set on that. 

As always, thoughts and feedback are welcome!  

47273858-6515-4431-9C57-6DC737A5580A.thumb.jpeg.e22266fd1b419301138bd8e695f6f304.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like a good project John, frame and panel overlay doors? magnetic catches? i would make the shelves adjustable just because unless you already know what's going to live in there and not be changed. dovetails are cool, box joints are easier but whatever you choose i would carry that over into the drawer construction as well, and you have to give some thought as to how you're going to attach it to the wall considering the weight of the cabinet, screwed thru the back? french cleat? be sure to post some pictures

• Thanks 1

Yes, frame and panel overlay doors. Probably will do a small magnetic catch. Undecided about type of pulls, but likely turned on the lathe. 

Good point about carrying the case construction over to the drawers as well. 

My current thinking is to use a french cleat to hang it. 

I’m hoping to start processing the stock this weekend, but either way I’ll post pictures as it progresses. 

49 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Well you know you need to do dovetails someday.  Check your calender, it's someday.  

:lol: That’s a good one! I’ve done a couple practice dovetails, but never in a real project. I do try to push myself to do something new on each project, and that was one of my goals for this. I’m committed now, regardless of the outcome. If need be, I’ll just fill the gaps with epoxy and then remake the cabinet when I get around to it. 

28 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Nice looking project that begs for dovetails. I guess my question is not if, but how will you cut them? I’m a big fan of the 30 in 30 method. 

10 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Hand cut 30 sets in 30 days to develop muscle memory. Here's a link to Chris Schwarz' article on it from 2007 - https://www.popularwoodworking.com/editors-blog/a-dovetail-a-day/

Good info! I hadn’t heard of this before. I’ll try to prep some boards and get to work on that this weekend as well. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Do your best and if it comes out poorly just put some 3/4" trim at the top. Nothing fancy just  like a chamfer trim. No one will know it's there to cover up gappy dovetails.

There is no better time to try than right now.

What about the bottom ones? :P

• Like 2

Starting material selection today. 

Door panels

05E7D50A-DF72-46C1-A4B4-5E40D737716D.thumb.jpeg.bc7be8908ee04701fc86fc556e437c85.jpeg

Rest of the parts

937A276F-5CF9-4ECE-B3B3-12A51AF5AEBF.thumb.jpeg.d5f6f9f58f6366ecc8e1555c1182b265.jpegEBA02C04-3F81-443A-BC92-A31A2654005B.thumb.jpeg.b00e208eacd80ff80baa348688be554e.jpeg

Also prepped some 3” wide maple for practice dovetails. After I have made a bit of headway on that, I’ll try a couple wider ones. 

Edit: the lighting in my garage and iPhone make the cherry look kinda gross. Color is much better in person. 

• Like 2

I have the parts milled to rough size and thickness. 

I’m going with 5/8” thickness for the case. 

image.thumb.jpg.3bb403455fc6b97dbbf3f751d9bedcad.jpg

Dovetail practice really hasn’t happened yet, unfortunately. I started one last night but was too tired so it got scrapped. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a few more minutes in the shop today after taking a detour to attempt a uke build in 2-3 days. 

Not much progress but I routed the stopped dados for the lower drawer divider and fit the divider. I had been thinking I’d stick with cherry for the drawer fronts and door panels, but now I’m thinking I might go walnut. I have some neat figured walnut from my dad’s property in NC. Any opinions?

5A447091-1B9B-49D7-83E0-B9AC4B363B98.thumb.jpeg.e2c9ce128912ecb3f561392c2cc2b943.jpeg

• Like 2

I've used cherry and walnut together quite a few times in my early woodworking projects. I liked the look initially. But after a few years the cherry darkens and the walnut lightens, and you can hardly tell they are different species. But you can tell they are different colors slightly, and the look is not nearly as pleasant as it was initially. It doesn't look terrible, but it does look like you mismatched boards in the piece. Have not used them together in many years because of that experience.

If the walnut is highly figured and you are using it for drawer fronts then you still will maintain some interesting contrast in the piece, but that will purely be from the grain pattern.

Now please excuse me while I go have a lamb and tuna fish sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1