Cherry Wall Cabinet - Completed

JohnG

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

I've used cherry and walnut together quite a few times in my early woodworking projects. I liked the look initially. But after a few years the cherry darkens and the walnut lightens, and you can hardly tell they are different species. But you can tell they are different colors slightly, and the look is not nearly as pleasant as it was initially. It doesn't look terrible, but it does look like you mismatched boards in the piece. Have not used them together in many years because of that experience.

If the walnut is highly figured and you are using it for drawer fronts then you still will maintain some interesting contrast in the piece, but that will purely be from the grain pattern.

Now please excuse me while I go have a lamb and tuna fish sandwich.

Thanks for your input on this! I have seen/heard of others using the two together but I have only seen it fresh. I do have some walnut with interesting figure, but I’ll have to see if it will look good in the size/shape of the drawer fronts and panels. Might be best to go with my initial idea of all cherry.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Cherry and walnut go together like lamb and tuna fish.

22 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Say what?? :) 

Haha that was my response. Does that mean they go together well or not? It’s been at least 15 years since I’ve eaten either of those. 

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

I built these two for a spare bedroom about four years ago, I think the cherry is about as dark as it’s going to get, walnut tops but you get the look2FF44711-4421-4499-88D5-7C31C448E1FD.thumb.jpeg.a158546caa2ea9de2f983b007c0c8b7b.jpeg06750B56-85A7-404F-877F-66899295EF7F.thumb.jpeg.b8a87d32a1771679f11c0385fb67402b.jpeg

The colors in my pieces never stayed that distinct, my walnut got a lot lighter and my cherry a little darker than your piece

at this stage my memory is shot, if I remember right I didn’t like the color match on the raw walnut boards I had for the tops and I stained them with dark walnut stain or I could have used tran-tint dye, I know that’s a no-no, forum members please forgive me for I have sinned

• Haha 2

Try it lamb, tuna, and cherries first, then add walnuts and try it again. If it’s better with just cherry, I’ll use cherry for the panels and drawer fronts. If it’s better with the walnuts, I’ll use walnut for the panels and drawer fronts. 

:lol:

• Haha 2

I glued up the case and drawer dividers. 

76970528-F6DE-4228-814D-66A9DC1F3825.thumb.jpeg.90a86c71eba645334185c61cbe153766.jpeg

The drawer dividers are just slightly proud of the case so I can flush them up later. I saved some little slivers from paring the dovetails, and I’ll try to use some of those to fill in my gappy dovetails. Shelf pin holes were also drilled using the Kreg jig. 

Next up is the door and drawer construction. I also need to figure out how I will clamp the veneer strips on the ply for the back. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fellas! I saw that board in the stack at the lumber yard and knew I needed to buy it! I saw drawer fronts or door panels in its future.

I feel like I've reached a new level of woodworking with this project. It's not really difficult or special, but I've expanded my skill set (dovetails, veneering to be done) and everything has gone surprisingly smoothly. I haven't really had any of the dumb mistakes or oversights that I usually have (I hope I'm not speaking too soon here...) It has just been a fun and satisfying build. Thanks for your support and encouragement, and for following along thus far.

• Like 1

It turns out the case is slightly out of square, so I used a plane to flush up the doors and start to work on the gap between. 

I don’t have a “real” vise so I had to get creative.

F03E90E9-0C7D-4DF0-8F9E-6AA52EBDA919.thumb.jpeg.27144b1a10d7eeeb7b939642b9b7bc22.jpeg

I picked up some brass butt hinges, but I’m not sure if they are what I want to use. Any thoughts about hinges (and pulls)?

• Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 8:47 PM, JohnG said:

Any thoughts about hinges (and pulls)?

Hinges and pulls can make or break a piece.  I don't throw Brusso hinges at everything that comes along but, I do try to avoid the low end stuff.  For smaller doors I don't have an aversion to no-mortise hinges and they come in many finishes with finials and without.  they are pretty lightweight.  I'm afraid you just missed the Brusso sale but, take heart; the hinges on sale may have been a bit small for your cabinet.

Other quality hinges are Vertex or (not trying to push Lee Valley, it just turned out that way) extruded hinges come in larger sizes. For pulls, I prefer to make my own. 

Kit-Hut-(105).jpg.78d6bdcb9d3d401054b29feb7d386af2.jpg

If you want them to match the hinge finish, a similar brand is the best way to go.  Careful selection is required when matching finishes from different vendors.  Just to pitch another vendor here's some pulls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hinges I bought are Vertex, and seem to be nice quality. I had looked at the Brusso sale specifically for this piece, but the sale hinges seemed too small for the piece. I’m not opposed to buying Brusso for this project, even at normal price, but the Woodcraft didn’t have the right size either. I glanced at the knife hinges, but I wouldn’t know how to identify the correct hinge for my application.

I’m not a great turner, but have turned some pulls before, so I have considered small round pulls. However, after seeing your pic, I think that rectangular pulls would fit the piece better.