Sign in to follow this  
Mark J

Thin Epoxy Adhesive

Is there such a thing as low viscosity epoxy adhesive?  I would be interested in something watery.

West Systems is very thin!  I use if for glue ups that require a little longer open time as well.

What is the grip requirement?  Would a thin CA work?  I have some that is just like water that I use for hairline cracks.

I believe it reduces strength, epoxy can be thinned with acetone as well. I'd test it before you give it a run on the real deal.

I have the watery CA glue, but CA tends to be brittle and may not be able to stand up to the shock of being turned.  

So epoxy can be diluted with acetone, but it will diminish the strength.

44 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Thin enough to force through a 20 gauge needle, you think?

Never tried it..  Would be worth a test though.

I just last night used a syringe (without the needle) to apply some West epoxy. The hole is about 1/16" & the epoxy ran freely through it, too freely. What a mess. got the job done though.

I used to use West through a syringe, and needle for some boat delamination repairs.   That's been 30 years ago though, and I don't remember the needle size.  The syringe held about an ounce.

CPES is not meant to be an adhesive, I would not use it for that.  System 3, IIRC is thinner than WEST, as is MAS epoxy.  I believe also that Interlux makes a very thin epoxy meant to wet out fiberglass to wood.

• Thanks 1