Setting prices for used tools

I need help desperately. My husbands garage shop is filled with so many wonderful tools and equipment that he can’t use anymore now because of his failing health and I would love to get the best price I can for everything but I don’t even know where to begin. Can I ask for help on this site for pricing or would that be inappropriate? Thanks in advance!

Sorry about that sad news, but I understand the realities here.  

A better idea than asking us here would be to reach out to a woodworking club in your area, or even a regional club.  Our woodworking club frequently assists in organizing these sorts of workshop sales.  And even better the sale is then marketed to a group of buyers (club members) rather than just whoever looks at Craig's List or the newspaper.

Do a Google search for woodworking clubs in your area.  You can also contact a local hardwood lumber yard or woodworking store for names of clubs.

• Like 2

I would do what Mark suggest.  Googling woodworking clubs in your area.  And like he said all or most of your tools may go to some people that already appreciate them as opposed to someone that is looking for a bargain on Craigslist.  Also if you have a facebook account, facebook has a market place that might be a better option to Craigslist.  I haven't used it but I have heard nothing but good about facebook's market place.

I wish you and your husband the best.

Sorry to hear of your plight. All the answers above are correct, but I will toss in another $0.02, which isn't really what you'd like to hear. My observation is that used woodworking tools and machines, in good working condition, seldom go for much more than 50% of their new purchase price. Many factors can skew that higher or lower, but overall, that is a pretty fair point at which to set your expectations. I hope that your local market skews in your favor.

And don't forget to post listings here, as well as the usual CL and FB marketplace. There may be a forum member or two in your area that would love to make a deal with you.

Thank you so much to everyone who replied. Such great ideas to get started. I just would have hated having to call an auction house or something like that. BTW Wtnhighlander, thanks for the 50% tip. Always a good idea to manage expectation. I will tell you all that he has a saw stop with the cabinet he paid $3,000 for in 2013 and stopped using oh about mid 2016. It’s a shame its been sitting for as long as it has. And he has every accessory for it under the sun. And beautiful drill bits of all shapes and sizes. I just wish I had him teach me a thing or two years ago. Oh, and he has a Festool Domino 500 that’s he’s maybe used two times. I really would like to see at least that one sell for close to what he paid for it. But I understand completely about selling used items and what folks will pay. I’m prepared for at least that part of this sad process. I’ve attached just a sampling of photos, not very good ones, to give you an idea of his stock. These were taken real quick so I had model numbers. I plan on taking good pics of everything very soon. Again, thank you all so much. You’ve saved my life!

44A1F5DC-7465-495D-90D2-403525693F43.jpeg

87C89A4B-69C1-4194-9207-8E969013C2A7.jpeg

02FFE393-E683-4436-AFE2-C3F8C6F7A94A.jpeg

E8BB622A-4038-4F72-B64C-44F4E7CF6A47.jpeg

B1EEDA6D-2A3A-4341-952E-CD137F4EE0C0.jpeg

Forgot to mention in my last post that I live in Las Vegas and there is only one woodworkers club that meet monthly. Next meeting isn’t until June 19. I will however visit Woodworkers Emporium (Tom’s favorite hangout) and see is they have any tips. Thanks again! 

Yes, the Domino should go for reasonably close to the purchase price, especially with not being heavily used. Festool occasionally sells reconditioned ones at a 25% discount from retail price and they sell out almost immediately. Around me, they get listed on Craigslist for $100-200 less than retail and sell very quickly. 

The sawstop should also sell quickly for a good price. Professional (PCS) vs Industrial (ICS), Motor size (1.75hp, 3hp), fence size (30”, 36”, 52”), and accessories (mobile base, router table insert, extra cartridges and blades, etc) will drive the price.

Not helping you out but maybe something for others to consider, when I make a major purchase, I will put the receipt along with the manual in a clear plastic sleeve. These all go in three ring binders for my family to have an idea of their original value, just in case. Like others, sorry you’re having to go thru this and for his failing health. 

• Like 1