The state of wood shop technology - Ligna

Certainly some impressive technology.  With pro shops here wanting to increase productivity it's puzzling that technology like this isn't coming from any U.S. tool manufacturers.  It's not like Felder is cheap and we can't compete with their pricing.

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

Certainly some impressive technology.  With pro shops here wanting to increase productivity it's puzzling that technology like this isn't coming from any U.S. tool manufacturers.  It's not like Felder is cheap and we can't compete with their pricing.

This was the arena I spent most of my career in prior to retirement. It always puzzled me why US companies were so reluctant to compete, You go to the US wood industry trade shows and it's all European and Asian equipment.

This doesn’t surprise me, especially after recently learning about the rare earths that China controls. And I don’t mean for this to get political. According to a recent news report, others, including the US, have this product but not the processing knowledge to refine it. Ours must be sent to China for processing and they send it back to us. How friggin scary can it get. 

6 hours ago, Steve B Anderson said:

I see the same situation in the metal working industry. These days there are very few American made machine companies. Back in the day Cincinnati Milacron was a leader in US CNC Lathes and Mills and now Japanese and German machinery rule the roost. 

Yep, and the woodworking machinery industry is 20 years behind the metalworking industry. 

Interesting. My father was an ME in the appliance industry for over 38 years. I used to read some of the manufacturing and appliance magazines he had. I'm almost 72 and recall that so many machine tools were made in the northeast, particularly Bridgeport, CT and other places in that area. Now we are looking at Made in China or elsewhere. I'm thinking that labor costs and environmental regulations can play a big part in foreign manufacturing.

I have a Ford Ecosport which was sold in Europe but now sold in the US as of last year. Found the window sticker in the glove box and read it.  Engine was made in Germany, transmission was built in Mexico and final assembly was India!

When I was a trucker.  I use to pick up rolls of denim in North Carolina, haul them to El Paso,Tx drop them , and pick up an equal load of Levi's just over from Mexico, and take them back to NC to get the tags sewn on the pockets.   It's not just woodworking or metal working, it's damn near everything.

• Like 2

My father was an engineer at Zenith back in the 1960s.   He told me once they had this meeting between the engineers and the marketing department.   The engineers wanted to start building equipment in black boxes like they were seeing coming out of Europe and Asia.

The marketing department assured them that people wanted stereos and televisions in walnut enclosures that looked like furniture.

The third generation furniture manufacturer said it is cheaper to have furniture made in China, pay shipping and import duty than to make it here in town.

Speaking of precision and manufacturing, my father told the story of a group of Americans who sent a drill bit the size of a human hair to some engineers in Switzerland. They sent the drill bit back with a hole drilled in it!