Harlequin side table

• 1 month later...

I agree with @RichardA you waz robbed, 1st place is not my taste and I won’t knock another persons work and I can appreciate the work that went into it but it definitely does not rise to the level of craftsmanship that you have in your fine piece, I don’t believe the judges took into account the mastery of woodwork that you exhibited with that piece 

• Like 2

I can't argue with ball bearing drawer slide in what is obviously a silverware drawer. The veneer work on the piece chosen as first place looks technicaly challenging, but is not particularly attractive, IMO. There are also several apparent flaws, however small, in the construction.

It seems apparent to me that the judges leaned toward flash more than finesse. IMO, the harlequin table includes an appropriate hint of the festive nature that overwhelms the veneered cabinet. But the impeccable visual details and flawless execution of a deceivingly complex design make the table truly outstanding.

I would most definitely have voted for your work, Derek.

• Like 1

I know there is a lot of work to the veneer process in that piece but the overall quality in the construction is really not very impressive.  There is so much more skilled craftsmanship displayed in your piece it really stands out compared to first place.  I am really curious as to who the judges were, are they craftsmen themselves.

I am befuddled!!!

• Like 1

The outside looks great, it's plain and has little physical detail but relies on the veneer for visual interest. I think if he could have had some physical depth in addition to the outstanding veneer it'd help.

I think it's somewhat difficult for me to appreciate because of the veneer used on the inside. As soon as you open the doors it looks like every kitchen cabinet sold in the US, red oak veneered particle board. I have to remind my self that you probably don't have piles and piles of red oak laying around in Australia like we do here. I think the piece is well executed though. I'd bet there are a lot of details that don't quite come through the pictures.

Hats off to your friend, but i also think that your piece had an edge over his in craftsmanship.

@derekcohen, I appreciate your humble and measured response. I think the saying "you don't know what you don't know" applies here. Perhaps you moved some of your members to the next level where they realize they don't know and are interesting in learning more.

I for one want to thank you for your journals and your website. They have been very helpful and inspiring. Hand cut dovetails are now becoming a part of my projects, something 3 years ago I would have avoided doing. 

Looking forward to your next project!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, derekcohen said:

I think that it has only now dawned on members just how complex the joinery was. Many do not think about these aspects,

And I guess this is the problem that can show up when judging, it's hard to consume the process in a piece in the time that is available.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian