Trying to download a pattern from 3d Warehouse

So I have Sketchup 2015 on my desktop and laptop computers. I intended to download some bench patterns from the 3d Warehouse to get ideas for building a corner bench on my deck. Of course things have to change to the point it near impossible to do what I want with any kind of ease. I tried the link to the warehouse from my program, didnt work. I open my browser and look up the warehouse direct but it refused to download unless I had a newer version. I went looking at the newer versions and the free version is a browser based app. Okay, I login and try that out. The browser has a link to the warehouse but only for uploads. Cant figure how to get a pattern from the warehouse into the browser app. The whole thing is annoying the crap out of me. All I want to do is look at some patterns to get an idea how to design something to fit my deck.

I guess I need to get my pencil and scratchpad out again.

Its all worth more than you are paying for it :D.  Files created by newer versions of software that cannot be opened by previous versions is common across applications and platforms, SU is no different.  The problems with the lapse of the good free versions and the limits of the web version are unfortunate but, like free email, nothing is guaranteed.  Perhaps you could identify the file and ask if anyone on here has a version that will open it.  They may then be able to save it as a previous version (with the loss of whatever is "new version" specific) and email it to you. I stopped upgrading at 'Make 2017' but, would be glad to give it a try for you.

As an alternative, look for free model repositories in other cad formats. FreeCAD is an open-source modeling application that can import a wide array of files. It is free (like the name) and works on Linux or Windows, I dunno about Apple. Beware, it operates more like Fusion 360 or other parametric modelers, not "grab & drag" like Sketchup.

15 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

the software problems so far is an aggravation and as such I would just as soon dump the whole pile rather than try to work with it.

Some guys can just open Sketchup & use it. I'm not one of those. I found that to use it with any kind of efficiency, training was needed. There are tons of videos for free, but I think the ones you pay for are better. For less than $100 you can buy a tutorial series that will really open things up.

10 hours ago, Immortan D said:

You have to click on the components button of Sketchup web.

sk.thumb.JPG.19a54c7c04bfa5df845dfc272653ee9c.JPG

Search the database and when you see the model you want, click on the download button and wait... after a while the downloaded model will show up on your drawing.

I’ll have to give that a try when I get home.