Sign in to follow this  
Chet

cloth for wipe on finishes

I have always used old white tee shirts for wipe on finishes but I was wondering if anyone had used tee shirts that were colors other then white.  I have a number of Carhartt Tee's that need to be retired and I would like to give them a second life but I didn't know if the dye in the tee's would effect the finish in any way.

I've used colored cotton cloth and never had the color run. If the t-shirts they are coming from are well used the excess dye should be well washed out. If it's new t-shirt material that hasn't been washed that may be a different story.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

If the t-shirts they are coming from are well used the excess dye should be well washed out

This is what  Was thinking, and believe me they are very well used. ;)

Wouldn't hurt to take a small piece and do a test to make sure no solvents or carriers in the finish affect the dye. But as Chestnut mentioned, if it has been washed many times it will probably be fine. 

• Like 1

One more confirmation. My wardrobe is 98% tee shirts and jeans. My old shirts never get thrown out, they are cut up and placed in my shop rag bin. Never found it to be a problem, and they are more 'lint free' than the new white cotton rags sold at the home centers.

I recently bought a tee shirt at our class reunion and our colors were black and gold. Why in the wold I bought a medium, I guess was wishful thinking. The shirt is gold with black something or another. After washing one time, I cut it into pieces without the black lettering and used it with some ARS on walnut with no problem. I know, not a good taste test. :mellow:

This all confirms my thinking but it was good to get it verified.:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

I bought an 8 pound bag of cotton rags from a big box store.  I emptied them into the washing machine, and added a light touch of bleach.  The lint trap got full, but now I have a drawer full of soft clean white rags that really work for me.

Man i never thought about that. I always hate how much lint those things have. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardA said:

I bought an 8 pound bag of cotton rags from a big box store

Just can't bring yourself to giving up your old Harley Tee shirts, can you?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Just can't bring yourself to giving up your old Harley Tee shirts, can you?

Smart ass.  No, I can't.  They're just now feeling good, especially with the holes.

• Like 1

Speaking of feeling good, looks like you might be at least feeling better!