Cleaning timber trellis

A home center will have deck cleaner that you mix with water, spray it on & let it soak a bit. Then scrub with a brush & rinse, Or even easier, rent a pressure washer to save the scrubbing. That will take off the surface layer of weathered gray fibers & probably the staining as well.

• Like 1

Most of the color is just dirt.  A pressure washer will take it right down to clean, new looking wood.   You have to be careful with pressure, volume, and tip size.   My pressure washer is 2500 psi at 4.4 gpm.  A lot of the ones you rent are 3,000 psi, which is a little too strong for wood.   With my pressure washer, I wouldn't use a tip any narrower than 40 degrees on that.  The narrower the fan, the more pressure it puts on a smaller area, and anything narrower will erode the wood.

I just use water.  I've used bleach, and other cleaners in the past, but they bring along their own issues that are better off left out.

This White Oak siding was black before it was pressure washed with just water.   The streaks on the galvanized fasteners came from using bleach several decades ago.

IMG_1574.thumb.JPG.f9877409d732711ab69e99c98cf6553f.JPG

• 3 years later...

Wood products give a beautiful look and style to any home. They are usually waxed, stained, oiled, or varnished. Wood products are great, but cleaning them can be nerve-wracking for fear of damaging the wood. You can buy most of the products you need to clean wood products at a home improvement store. Many homemade cleaners' ingredients, such as vinegar and detergent, are available at grocery stores. While cleaning wood beams, you can order a pressure washer for your home at https://sparklewash.com/pugetsound. Your home should always stay clean.