The Hank Chair

Bmac

Well this project was just released and it's right up my alley. First it's a chair, one of my favorite things to build. It's also a little funky looking, a cool style I'd like to delve into. I do think it needs some curves and softening, so I'm going to experiment with it and see if i can develop some curves. Finally it is made with an unique template system that I'm very interested in seeing how it's done. This technique could be used with a lot of projects and it is different approach. This might be a neat technique to have experience with.

As with the other Guild projects I've purchased, I think this one is one I'll be referring back to quite often if I like the technique. I can't tell you how many times I've used the other Guild projects I've purchased. The Sculptured Rocker series has been used a ton by me and it introduced me to a type of construction I absolutely love. That series changed my woodworking more than anything I've purchased. The Krenov Cabinet has also been an awesome purchase as it's my go to tutorial for hand cut dovetails. I've done about 3 projects since that one that I referred back to the video series for dovetail tips. That one also introduced me to drawers with a center guide, love them now.

So, I hope to get started on this build soon, I'm in the middle of a double Maloof Rocker build (2 individual rockers, not the actual 2 seat rocker), but I'm going to start the templates on this series soon and I'll post as I go along.

Are others are as intrigued as I am? 

https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/hank-chair/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

The look of the Hank Chair doesn't intrigue me at all but I have heard things about Jory himself and his techniques that has me thinking about buying the guild project.

Not sure I'm a fan either but I bought it to see how all the joinery is done should be some good info in there.

I almost bought this instead of the low back but was turned away due the bulky look as it will be for my daughter. I agree that I have yet to buy a guild build that I didn’t use some of the ideas and methods on other builds. Bmac, like you, the Knenov Cabinet was the one I had the most fun with and I too refer back to the dove tail cutting method that Marc used. Looking forward to following you on this. 

I'd love to see the front leg and arm rest be done as a bent lamination that gets further sculpting similar to the rockers on a maloof rocker. It may end of falling flat but i'd try it.

The nice part is maloof and nakashima both built within the MCM style but it was just sculpted instead of hard lines. Modifying this to a sculpted chair doesn't really remove it from that style though it makes it considerably different. I'm excited to see where you go with this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I'd love to see the front leg and arm rest be done as a bent lamination that gets further sculpting similar to the rockers on a maloof rocker. It may end of falling flat but i'd try it.

The nice part is maloof and nakashima both built within the MCM style but it was just sculpted instead of hard lines. Modifying this to a sculpted chair doesn't really remove it from that style though it makes it considerably different. I'm excited to see where you go with this.

Exactly, when I said the curves should work well with this piece I could have said that they work well within the MCM style. Glad you clarified that for me because I was thinking along those lines.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

You do some awesome work BMAC!! And yes to a rocker  journal :) I hope to do one some day LOL

Will do. I was wondering if I should since there has been quite a few rocker builds on here over the years. Next Rocker will likely be this winter or late fall, plan to use the curly maple I got from Spanky! Not sure where I'll put that one though, running out of space in my house. 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

The rockers look amazing. I too am looking forward to the Hank chair. You’re beginning to sound a lot like Kev, “ I’ll be be using some scrap 8/4 that just happened to be laying around”! :D

I wonder if Kev has the same problem as me, scraps always being an inch too small in one dimension. When making these sculptured chairs you definitely end up with 8/4 scrap. I think I have a hoarding problem with scraps. I should sell it to pen turners.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Oooo it's starting to show some shape!!!!

I'm really excited to see where this goes.

Yup, trying to make a pointy harsh look into one with some sexy curves. Well sort of sexy, I guess that depends on who you are talking to. Did run into a little bit of a problem I'm sure I can work around. Making the arm wider for the curve meant the stock I needed was slightly over 8" wide. That doesn't work well for my 8" jointer, so I'll be alittle short on the top of the arm by the back rest, but I think I still have enough stock to fall in line with that curve, meaning I was going to round off that corner anyway. If I don't have enough stock I'll just alter that back curve. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bmac said:

Yup, trying to make a pointy harsh look into one with some sexy curves. Well sort of sexy, I guess that depends on who you are talking to. Did run into a little bit of a problem I'm sure I can work around. Making the arm wider for the curve meant the stock I needed was slightly over 8" wide. That doesn't work well for my 8" jointer, so I'll be alittle short on the top of the arm by the back rest, but I think I still have enough stock to fall in line with that curve, meaning I was going to round off that corner anyway. If I don't have enough stock I'll just alter that back curve.

Gotta figure out those jointer tricks. I was using some 10-11" lumber the other day just fine on my 8" jointer. I draw the line at 12" material, it gets hard to fit through my 13" planer with the hook sled at that point.

I don't mind the look of the chair originally but it's going to look better with curves. I assume you are goign to do a sculpted seat?

56 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Gotta figure out those jointer tricks. I was using some 10-11" lumber the other day just fine on my 8" jointer. I draw the line at 12" material, it gets hard to fit through my 13" planer with the hook sled at that point.

I don't mind the look of the chair originally but it's going to look better with curves. I assume you are goign to do a sculpted seat?

I know there are tricks dealing with getting more width from a jointer, point taken. 

I'm actually going to see how the cushion seat is done and will likely go with that. It's more out of my comfort zone and I'm excited to try it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I've been watching the guild video's and I might have to make one of these just for the challenge. They look pretty straight forward but its kind of deceiving there is a lot that goes into one of these. As usual your execution is top notch thanks for sharing.

Yes, it is a different kind of build. Using the dominos makes the joinery easy, but I think it takes some of the fun out of it. Nevertheless, this style lends itself to many different designs. Looking at Jory's website, if I had to pick something he made that I would really want to make, it probably would be one of his couches. They have a really nice look to them and you could probably figure it out on your own after doing this chair. Looks better to me than this chair.

• Like 1