Sign in to follow this  
Mark J

Cordless Chainsaws

Green Red Oak is maybe the easiest wood to cut with a chainsaw.  I think it would help if he sharpened that chain, but being able to sharpen a chain is key for any size saw doing what it is capable of.  They don't stay sharp long.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom King said:

If someone wants to borrow a chainsaw, I go in that shop, and come out with the 066 with 42" bar running, and revving.  I say, "This one is running good."  It's ported, and has muffler mods, so it's really loud. Cut off, with the end of the bar on the deck, the end of the handle is about to the top of my shoulder.  So far, not one person has not backed up, thrown their hands up in the air, with wide eyes, and always left without a chainsaw.

I'd call your bluff, running a saw like that would be fun. That's like asking to borrow a car and getting the keys to a hemi cuda thrown at you. Though I'm also not likely to be a person to ask to borrow a saw.

A couple of guys that I know are capable of running that saw have asked to borrow it.  They had big trees to cut up, but they didn't get it.  I don't loan tools, and especially not chainsaws.  I knew the ones who would be easily scared off. 

It's actually surprising how many people will come to ask about borrowing a chainsaw.  We are surrounded by lake houses mostly owned by city folks who just come to the lake occasionally.  They might have a limb fall in the yard, and easiest fix is to borrow a saw from someone else.  I do know one of these who bought a 170, and he ended up hurting himself with it.

11 hours ago, Tom King said:

If someone wants to borrow a chainsaw, I go in that shop, and come out with the 066 with 42" bar running, and revving.  I say, "This one is running good."  It's ported, and has muffler mods, so it's really loud. Cut off, with the end of the bar on the deck, the end of the handle is about to the top of my shoulder.  So far, not one person has not backed up, thrown their hands up in the air, with wide eyes, and always left without a chainsaw.

My uncle smoked Chesterfield cigarettes. After word got around, no one asked for a smoke. Tom, I would look on that saw as challenge. A bit overkill for rose bushes, though.

Have a Poulan gas saw and a HF electric saw for small stuff.

6 hours ago, Tom King said:

Green Red Oak is maybe the easiest wood to cut with a chainsaw.  I think it would help if he sharpened that chain, but being able to sharpen a chain is key for any size saw doing what it is capable of.  They don't stay sharp long.

So what do think of saws with a self sharpening feature?

The 1974 Craftsman electric chainsaw, that I'm still using today, came with a built in sharpener.  It worked, but ate up the chain really quickly.  After the chain that came in it wore out, I took all that stuff out, and never used anything but a regular chain on it again.  Today, it gets used with a dry chain, cutting out bad parts of old houses, since I don't want to throw oil inside the houses.

You need to be able to sharpen a chain regardless of what type of saw you use.  Ask Spanky for backup on this.  I just use a file.

595ebc6e1183f_CIMG2218(1280x960).thumb.jpg.63517b6d31f70a91d6529e406c3c4adb.jpg