Vintage Stanley router planes

Jfitz

So I’ve been slowly building my “vintage” hand plane collection (old Stanley’s) in addition to my “newer” set (LN and Veritas).  Neither collection is expansive - works in progress.  

I have a (modern) LN router plane but want to add a vintage no 71 Stanley router plane. I’ve been watching on eBay but wanted to ask here if any type of features are truly better to have. For instance there is a type 10 available ( Without adjustable fence) and a type 11 (first type with adjustable fence). I’ve never used the fence on my “modern” router plane but.... is that feature or any other specific feature worth getting in a vintage router plane?

I use an older #71 with just the 1/2" blade. I bought it used some time back, and never found a need for the fence option.  I do however suggest that you get the other two blades that normally came with it when it was new.  And make certain that the wing screw that locks the blade at height functions they way it should.  I had to replace mine the first time I set it to depth, as it moved.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian