Apron and drawer from one piece

Saw this on a website but no hints on how to make it.

It’s one piece of wood for an apron with a drawer in the middle all from one piece of wood. Typically one would rip the apron wood above and below the drawer then glue them carefully back together after cutting the drawer face out of the middle. There was no indication of a “seam” in this picture, and the gap was tiny! 

Anyone have hints for me? I’m ever so curious. :) 

Is there a picture or link to go with this?

I’ve seen it done the way you describe. With good grain selection and a thin kerf blade there won’t be any visible seam. I suppose if you have a tiny bit you could also do this on a CNC without ripping, though I’m not sure how feasible that would be. 

That’s the correct way to do it. If the height of the front needs to match side and back aprons, allow for the two horizontal kerfs you are making or just start with a taller piece and make the final cut after the glue up. 

I'd use a bandsaw with as thin of blade as you can get. I'd make the cut with a resaw king blade not clean up either side and glue it back together and i'd bet you'd have a hard time finding the sea.

Board selection is critical as well. Some grain patterns no matter the thickness the material removed will look disrupted.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 2:56 PM, JohnG said:

Is there a picture or link to go with this?

I’ve seen it done the way you describe. With good grain selection and a thin kerf blade there won’t be any visible seam. I suppose if you have a tiny bit you could also do this on a CNC without ripping, though I’m not sure how feasible that would be. 

@JohnG I saw it on Paul Sellers’ website, in one of his blogs but for the life of me I can’t find it today... 

On 7/1/2019 at 3:05 PM, Barron said:

Chestnut has the right idea.  Use a straight grained board, for a really tight fit for the drawer, start with a board a little longer as well as taller. Oh, and make sure you mark the board before you cut so you can put it back together again. 

I think this is the answer as well. As for marking, when I make dovetailed drawers I use colored chalk and just scribble the color on the ends that mate up. That’s what I’d probably do to mark this kind of board. 

Thanks for all the suggestion gang! This is an awesome forum :) *thumbs up*