Jaw, meet floor.

There are many people in the US willing to pay thousands for a piece of furniture, and many furniture makers in the US that can make furniture worth thousands. 

Look at Darrell Peart or Owen Suter. I know there are many others, but these were the first ones that came to mind that can sell pieces for thousands (and that are truly worth thousands).

• Like 2

Been debating that one too for a while.  I'm trying to go without one by going with a pair of ottomans instead... or a large drum table would be nice, sometimes called a center table.  Wouldn't go over 24" high. 

There was one just like the one posted in a 3rd season episode of 'Better Call Saul'.        

9 hours ago, JohnG said:

There are many people in the US willing to pay thousands for a piece of furniture, and many furniture makers in the US that can make furniture worth thousands. 

Look at Darrell Peart or Owen Suter. I know there are many others, but these were the first ones that came to mind that can sell pieces for thousands (and that are truly worth thousands).

I’ve seen some on here made by our fellow forumians that certainly qualify! 

My parents lived in Chicago about 40 years ago. They saw an ad on TV for a furniture store and decided to visit. The first piece Mother looked at was a china hutch for $10K. Before they could retreat, the salesman cornered them, asking what they were looking for. Turned out all their furniture was solid wood. He further stated if they didn't see anything they liked, their designers would help them design what would fit their decor. Dad figured a full dining room set would be $60-70K.

For funsies, a friend of my aunt's was asked by a furniture salesman what decor she had. Can't remember exactly what she said but it was Early Halloween or Early Attic.:D

2 hours ago, Bankstick said:

My parents lived in Chicago about 40 years ago. They saw an ad on TV for a furniture store and decided to visit. The first piece Mother looked at was a china hutch for $10K. Before they could retreat, the salesman cornered them, asking what they were looking for. Turned out all their furniture was solid wood. He further stated if they didn't see anything they liked, their designers would help them design what would fit their decor. Dad figured a full dining room set would be $60-70K.

For funsies, a friend of my aunt's was asked by a furniture salesman what decor she had. Can't remember exactly what she said but it was Early Halloween or Early Attic.:D

That's what's great about period furniture, it doesn't date.  :)

I think it's all a matter of your perspective and your priorities.  I have friends who have paid $75K for a car, $5K for a set of golf clubs, $4K for a bicycle.  I own a car, I play golf, and I do enjoy riding my bike, but pretty much regardless of the balance in my checking account, I don't think I would ever pay what my friends did for their toys. On the other hand, I mentioned to a friend of mine that I had bought a nice hand plane for a little over $200, and he was shocked!  He's a capable DIY-er (better at plumbing and electrical than carpentry) - but he said he didn't think he'd ever spent more than $30 on a single (non-electric) hand tool.

$5K for golf clubs? I played golf for several years and played decently with my $150 clubs. Golf Magazine was talking about the new golf clubs at that time- graphite shafts, perimeter weighted heads, etc. It went on to state that the USGA found handicaps only dropped about one stroke! Consider what golfers did with hickory shafts in which each club had a different flex. Jack Nicklaus set records with a McGregor driver that finally fell apart! Saw it on TV!

Joke- "I'm taking up golf. I don't know anything about the game but I know all the words."

G Ragatz, I see this in the parking lot at church. Their $70K cars won't do anything my $26K won't do...except mine has a smaller monthly payment. At my age and life experience, it takes a lot of impress me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bankstick said:

$5K for golf clubs? I played golf for several years and played decently with my $150 clubs. 

G Ragatz, I see this in the parking lot at church. Their $70K cars won't do anything my $26K won't do...except mine has a smaller monthly payment. At my age and life experience, it takes a lot of impress me.

There certainly is a difference, but personal needs, preferences, and priorities determine whether the difference is worth the extra cost. 

• Like 1

I live by one of the richest areas in the US. It's funny what people do with money. Some like fancy cars, some it's golf, some it's nice clothes for their kids. Some buy Ikea and then have to hire someone to put it together. Others you have no idea they have money.

I looked at Darrell Peart's furniture and gasped when I saw the price. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing craftsmanship but I couldn't believe what it cost. I'm not his target market so I doubt he cares.

6 hours ago, Bankstick said:

$5K for golf clubs? I played golf for several years and played decently with my $150 clubs. Golf Magazine was talking about the new golf clubs at that time- graphite shafts, perimeter weighted heads, etc. It went on to state that the USGA found handicaps only dropped about one stroke! Consider what golfers did with hickory shafts in which each club had a different flex. Jack Nicklaus set records with a McGregor driver that finally fell apart! Saw it on TV!

Joke- "I'm taking up golf. I don't know anything about the game but I know all the words."

It's amazing what people will spend on their hobbies.  I have a friend who spends tens of thousands on his old Mustang, turning it into a drag racing car, yet he hasn't raced it in years.

My golf clubs are from 1984, when I was in high school.  They were cheap then.  I only play a few times a year, but I've been having a growing urge to get a new set.  I got a new driver 10 years or so ago and spent $300 on it (Ping G5).  It's the first driver I've ever been able to hit straight, so it was game-changing even for me.  I wouldn't think of spending $5k on clubs, but maybe $1K for a good set.

My main hobby/sport is bowling.  I just ordered a new ball last night - $180, plus it will be another $50 to have it drilled.  I have about 12 balls already, but I think this one will be good for my game.  I told my wife I was ordering it and she said "get me some new shoes".  So I found her some new bowling shoes (we bowl league together) and both of us are happy.

• Haha 1

Derek, hitting straight? You could have taken a couple of lessons and saved some money. I had a bad slice until I learned to drop my right shoulder on the down swing instead of moving it forward. Get Jack Nicklaus' video or book, Golf My Way. Excellent and easy to understand. This is how Greg Norman learned to play golf at age 17.

11 hours ago, legenddc said:

I live by one of the richest areas in the US. It's funny what people do with money. Some like fancy cars, some it's golf, some it's nice clothes for their kids. Some buy Ikea and then have to hire someone to put it together. Others you have no idea they have money.

Has anyone read the book “ The Millionaire Next Door “. It’s a real eye opener. 

• Like 1