Chestnut

Firewood Storage

Recommended Posts

So with the new fire pit I figure i should have a place to store firewood. The side of my house that i want to store the wood on faces my neighbor so i want the storage to look somewhat presentable. I decided on a design with a simple shed roof and that I'd make it out of cedar. I bought some 4x4s for the corner posts and decided to go with 1xs for bottom braces and the rest of the structure. For the main "siding" I guess you could call it i decided upon fence pickets as they were cheap.

0716191625.thumb.jpg.07932e366649ceb584b77746dfaaf965.jpg

Using dominoes to attach the top and bottom rail for each side.

0718191814b.thumb.jpg.ec697d561c1d552cb91962cdd6eeb4d6.jpg

To attach the siding i glued a backer board to the back of the rails to create a shelf or makeshift dado. I'll end up gluing and nialing the pickets to these. I'm not going all out with this and am going to use brad nails in many places to speed along construction. For finish i'm probably just going to use some decking/fence stain.

0718191945.thumb.jpg.ab316b00abe09dd7e3c915379ca98ac5.jpg

To promote airflow to allow the lumber to dry the sides and back are going to be spaces 3/4". The roof I will attempt to make somewhat watertight though.

0718191945a.thumb.jpg.7d26cfad47444f326b27759ad9b5cfd7.jpg

Think i should plane all the pickets smooth or leave them rough?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the pickets Cedar? If so, planing by machine can cause areas to lift as the heat seems to penetrate a small ways and soften the bond between rings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50/50 I think on making them smooth, more work for you but I know you ain’t scared of work, once they are stained I don’t think many people would notice, oh, and just wish I had you for a neighbor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For any metal fasteners, I would use the decking type screws, especially in lieu of brad nails. I speak from experience. I just replaced a cedar fence that my neighbor put up three years ago. Bless his heart, he furnished everything and I paid for it. But this past spring I noticed it leaning heavily toward me. Everything was attached with drywall screws. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

For any metal fasteners, I would use the decking type screws, especially in lieu of brad nails. I speak from experience. I just replaced a cedar fence that my neighbor put up three years ago. Bless his heart, he furnished everything and I paid for it. But this past spring I noticed it leaning heavily toward me. Everything was attached with drywall screws. 

I failed to mention they are stainless brad nails. Mainly just in place of clamping, tight bond 3 will be the main long term attachment.  I found they also make galvanized brads but in my research galvanized isn't suggested in contact with cedar and redwood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd leave the pickets rough. As someone who grew up with firewood for heat, I'd also suggest keeping that away from the house a bit. Firewood stacks make wonderful homes for all sorts of creepie-crawlies that you don't want inside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

50/50 I think on making them smooth, more work for you but I know you ain’t scared of work, once they are stained I don’t think many people would notice, oh, and just wish I had you for a neighbor

It would be at most a trip through the planner both sides. Because It's outdoors and going to be stained I'm not going to put much effort into getting a silky smooth finish.

1 minute ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'd leave the pickets rough. As someone who grew up with firewood for heat, I'd also suggest keeping that away from the house a bit. Firewood stacks make wonderful homes for all sorts of creepie-crawlies that you don't want inside.

Would a couple feet be enough or should i put it on the other side of my lot? I was leaning smooth, what makes you think rough? The rails and legs are planned smooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

 

Would a couple feet be enough or should i put it on the other side of my lot? I was leaning smooth, what makes you think rough? The rails and legs are planned smooth.

Bugs might be different up there in the great frozen north. Just sharing my experience. We kept a stack ready and dry under the carport, but spiders and centepedes were always a problem. At least you aren't bringing it inside.

As for the rough, I just like the texture. My house is sided with it. It will look good in contrast with the smooth stock of the framework, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have about 20 pickets leftover from the fence build and will use most to replace older purple Martin houses. I plan to sticker them for a while, then plane them down, only because they will be painted on the outside. Fence and panels, I prefer rough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, treeslayer said:

oh, and just wish I had you for a neighbor

It'd be fun to have a fellow woodworker for a neighbor. I'll let Bill know your interested in his house :D. He's got an insulated heated and cooled oversized 3 stall garage that would make an awesome shop.

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Bugs might be different up there in the great frozen north. Just sharing my experience. We kept a stack ready and dry under the carport, but spiders and centepedes were always a problem. At least you aren't bringing it inside.

As for the rough, I just like the texture. My house is sided with it. It will look good in contrast with the smooth stock of the framework, too.

I like that thought. I might just clean up the back side of the panel to get a better glue bond and leave the front rough. I'm going to lay it out and see what i think. Yeah we get bugs here for about 5 months of the year. The other 7 months the freezing cold weather kills them pretty fast. It is a concern of mine that it will attract mice and bugs but i don't know of a way to store wood that doesn't attract pests. I'm going to apply some chemicals to the inside to attempt to keep them away.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I have about 20 pickets leftover from the fence build and will use most to replace older purple Martin houses. I plan to sticker them for a while, then plane them down, only because they will be painted on the outside. Fence and panels, I prefer rough. 

I have a lot of the pickets standing on end to dry in my shop. They are pretty dang high in MC so I'd like them to dry out some before i use them. The dryer pickets are on the rack on the wall. I'll be working on this again tonight as the head index is supposed to be 110 here today. It's a typical Houston day 95 F and an 80 degree dew point.

0718191819.thumb.jpg.c0682c99b76a37e5d9941aaa63e824d1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what its worth I personally I like the rough facing out at least. Regarding pests I would definitely keep it a six inches to a foot away from the structure and preferably not near any doors. I get mice in mine on a regular basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thought is if the part that faces back should be enclosed or open with some cross braces? If i leave it open and spaced from the house foxes may take care of any rodents that try and make it home. I found a gut pile in my yard and a bunch of fur the other day. Either a rabbit or a squirrel became the dinner of something.

Between foxes, hawks, eagles, coyotes, and my pellet gun  varmints have a tough time in my area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great Drew!

"My parallel clamp extenders have been put to use a LOT since i've made them." Can we get a pic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Looks great Drew!

"My parallel clamp extenders have been put to use a LOT since i've made them." Can we get a pic?

I can't remember where i posted them.

5211193101489389285.thumb.jpg.5ddfd7beee6ef872c1ae4ce808c43485.jpg

2182678556981220545.thumb.jpg.c3497d7d872ef4d035d9a41f5584b518.jpg

6247236541084592514.thumb.jpg.1c6f5ddcd2092060c60379650b46cd58.jpg

7515738556942331163.thumb.jpg.ece6f1f1dedc38ff55bef263597bedff.jpg

440001830416648126.thumb.jpg.7f431971c9b98ce59456179827c9a4c3.jpg

I should probably make a dedicated post.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Nut! That counter sink bit set ain’t cheap but if you swear by it, I’m gonna have to try one. It’s a good thing it only comes in a #8 or I would be out some bucks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Well done Nut! That counter sink bit set ain’t cheap but if you swear by it, I’m gonna have to try one. It’s a good thing it only comes in a #8 or I would be out some bucks! 

I'd try one first but it does come in 3 sizes. It does clog like some of the cheaper bits but a light tap usually clears it unlike the cheap ones. I usually only use #8 screws so i will only buy one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good, I think you'll need more firewood than that for a MN winter. Now that you built that you'll need to get to work to fill it up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.