Goodwithwoodworking

Rust in Greenville SC to Hickory NC area

Recommended Posts

Hi y’all!   I am recently retired and looking to move from Michigan to the southeast in the area mentioned in the title. I’m concerned about rust forming on tools in these areas. If you have had rust can you comment on the ambient conditions i.e. heated or air-conditioned space and summer or winter rust formation.  I’m trying to determine if I need a heated or air-conditioned shop.  The steel tools in our garage that have been exposed to Michigan humid summers have not had any rust that I’ve noticed. It just seems to me that the Carolinas have higher humidity levels for longer periods of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to live in Forest City, NC, not too farm from Hickory. Rust isn't huge deal, just clean the tools before putting them away, maybe wax the bare metal surfaces once or twice a year. Coming from Michigan, you are likely to want cooling in the summertime, just for comfort. Heat indices over 100 are pretty common, but days with temps below freezing are much less so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!! My daughter is a Michigan State Police Officer :)

I would think air as well I've been down in that area enough to know I would need it LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just keep them clean. A bit of WD-40 or light oil will work. Just make sure it won't interfere with getting on wood and ruining the finish. I have lived many places (25 in 72 years to be exact) where rust wasn't a problem. Never lived in the desert SW...yet.

Edit- Used to live in central NC. Go to Calabash, NC- the center of the seafood industry of the Carolinas. It's on the coast, just over the SC/NC state line. Just about anywhere in the Carolinas will have fresh seafood; I mean from the ocean to the table in less than 24 hours. Now I made myself hungry!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I used to live in Forest City, NC, not too farm from Hickory. Rust isn't huge deal, just clean the tools before putting them away, maybe wax the bare metal surfaces once or twice a year. Coming from Michigan, you are likely to want cooling in the summertime, just for comfort. Heat indices over 100 are pretty common, but days with temps below freezing are much less so.

With air-conditioning my main concern is dust plugging the air-conditioner. I will have a dust collection system that captures fine dust but it seems like the air-conditioner would also need regular cleaning. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

Just keep them clean. A bit of WD-40 or light oil will work. Just make sure it won't interfere with getting on wood and ruining the finish. I have lived many places (25 in 72 years to be exact) where rust wasn't a problem. Never lived in the desert SW...yet.

Edit- Used to live in central NC. Go to Calabash, NC- the center of the seafood industry of the Carolinas. It's on the coast, just over the SC/NC state line. Just about anywhere in the Carolinas will have fresh seafood; I mean from the ocean to the table in less than 24 hours. Now I made myself hungry!

I love seafood so now you made me hungry too! We’ve spent months in the southeastern states looking for a house with land where a shop can be built or is already there. I did not notice the availability of fresh seafood as you mentioned. Now I am even more excited to move there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Goodwithwoodworking said:

With air-conditioning my main concern is dust plugging the air-conditioner. I will have a dust collection system that captures fine dust but it seems like the air-conditioner would also need regular cleaning. 

Yes, it will require cleaning a bit more frequently. But if you've never lived down here before, you're probably going to find the extra cleaning well worth the effort. I can guarantee that excessive perspiration WILL cause tool rust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Welcome!! My daughter is a Michigan State Police Officer :)

I would think air as well I've been down in that area enough to know I would need it LOL

 

10 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Welcome!! My daughter is a Michigan State Police Officer :)

I would think air as well I've been down in that area enough to know I would need it LOL

 Without air-conditioning I would either take the summers off or I would have to just be in the shop overnight. But even if I didn’t use the shop in the summer it would still have the heat and humidity so I guess it doesn’t matter if I’m actually using it or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Yes, it will require cleaning a bit more frequently. But if you've never lived down here before, you're probably going to find the extra cleaning well worth the effort. I can guarantee that excessive perspiration WILL cause tool rust.

 Perspiration from difficult glue ups? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.