Looking for a cabinet book

Agrund

Hello, 

first post, but I’ve been reading the site for several months.    

I was reading a post where I believe a member was asking for help on kitchen cabinets, and another member had replied and directed the op to a cabinet construction book he had just released.     I thought I favorited the link for a future purchase, but I must not have.    I’d like to find it again so I can add it to a Xmas gift list for my family.      

Does this book ring any bells to anyone, and if so could point me to it? I don’t remember what subforum it was in, but I believe Ive been at least 75 pages back in one of the subforums, so I can’t even tell you if the post was recent or not.   

I tried using search, but I didn’t come across it.   I did find mention of Greg paolini’s book, but that was not it.   

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Adam 

Once you've drawn up your cabinets, and know all the frontal sizes of the drawers, go ahead, and order the slides you want.  Make a practice box, or two before you make the final ones.  You will learn something on the first few you make, and hang.  It would be a good idea to have the appliances on hand too.  Sometimes it's good to measure how oven doors drop open, and such, so they won't interfere with anything next to them.

When setting drawer slides in cabinet boxes, I rip a piece of plywood the right width for the top slides to rest on while being screwed in place.  Then that same piece of plywood is ripped to work under the next drawer down, and so forth.   If they have face frames, I like to set the drawer slides first, and then mount the face frames. There are fancy things you can buy, or make, but this simple method is foolproof for getting them all just right to start with.

If you're making the cabinets in your house, and they don't have to be moved around a lot before being installed, butt joints are just fine, especially for the base cabinet boxes.  Plan ahead so you have no plywood edges showing.

I built cabinets for all the new houses I built over 33 years of doing that, and I never looked at a book about cabinet making.  Not saying it wouldn't be good to have, but I mostly just looked at others to see how they were put together, and figured the rest out on my own.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tpt life said:

Got interrupted reading the first bit and had to do a double take. Thought that was a bold suggestion. 

Haha!  that’s what got us in to the current situation.    Always agreed 2 kids, maybe 3 keeping an open mind for what life brings.     # 2 just came about a yr and a half before my wife wanted because, well, life! Unorganized chaos, that’s what a 20 month and 3 month is.   

20 hours ago, Tom King said:

I built cabinets for all the new houses I built over 33 years of doing that, and I never looked at a book about cabinet making.  Not saying it wouldn't be good to have, but I mostly just looked at others to see how they were put together, and figured the rest out on my own.

For the moment I’m just cobbling together a rearrangement of existing cabinets for a new layout of the kitchen, and I have 2 spots where I need to build non-standard sized cabinets 

I’ve already built one upper cabinet, it isn’t pretty but it gets the job done.   I did pocket screws to hold back sides and face frame on, dado’d for the bottom and top.   

Someone already pointed out that I did it “wrong” in the way my back is solid plywood, I didn’t inset the back and use a piece of 1/2” ply at top and bottom for screwing to wall.  

My biggest obstacle now is I can’t figure out what to make the two doors from    To minimize work, I’m using all existing doors I can.  They are a solid mdf panel with a veneer attached.   I don’t know how to replicate that in a solid piece that’s simple construction that won’t warp like crazy.  It’s all gel stained, but the stuff is thick Enough it looks more like paint than stain. 

54 minutes ago, Agrund said:

Haha!  that’s what got us in to the current situation.    Always agreed 2 kids, maybe 3 keeping an open mind for what life brings.     # 2 just came about a yr and a half before my wife wanted because, well, life! Unorganized chaos, that’s what a 20 month and 3 month is.   

You do know how that happens? Right?