Help designing a large frame

Fxguy

Good morning everyone. 

I have a giant puzzle that my family has completed (dimensions are 108.5'' x 75.5'' ) which is larger than any picture frame available commercially.  I need to design a frame to support the puzzle. I was planning on using 1/8" masonite as the backing, however due to the size, it's larger than a simple 4' x 8' sheet. So I'm not sure where to even start. I tried building a frame based on using 2' X 4' sheets of masonite and lap joining the intersections using 1" x 2" but that crashed and burned. 

Can someone please help me with designing something so we can hang our awesome puzzle on the wall? 

Thanks! 

Tim

Problem is I dont have it completely assembled in order to take an actual picture. Here is a picture of someone else completed as well as a photo of the completed puzzle itself. I have the four sections done but need the frame to assemble the final connecting pieces. 

It's standard jigsaw puzzle cardboard pieces. The shipping weight on this thing was 17.7 pounds. 

Hope this helps! 

I've considered assembling smaller individual frames for each of luan / masonite panels but then assembling those together becomes difficult not to mention weakening the whole thing due to multiple joints not needed. 

4005556178254.jpg

puzzle-me-entrevista-klodya-04.jpg

I'm sure there are other ways to do this but If it were me I would use two sheets of 1/2" plywood with an 8-10" epoxied lap joint in the middle, for the back. I would make a frame out of 5/4 x 2" poplar on edge with a rabbit for the back to fit into. Given the size of this piece I would guess that 1/8" anything will flex way to much to work. 1/4" may work but...

• Like 2

I would go back to your plan for attaching the puzzle sections to 2'x4' pieces of masonite or plywood. 1/8" seems a bit too thin, but 1/4" should be enough. Instead of simply butting the edges together, and lapping the seams with 1x2 on the back, use 1x4 boards, and glue some 1x2 on edge down the center of each board to form a T rail. Frame the edges with more 1x stock, then attach 1/8" sheet goods to the back to form a torsion box. Arrange the back so any seams avoid aligning with seams on the front.

This will make a very rigid, fairly light-weight platform, and you can add any decorative frame you like. If its worth your time, you can plane the 1x stock thinner to reduce the weight and thickness. With a little more internal bracing, 1/8" sheet on the front will work, reducing the weight even more.

43 minutes ago, Fxguy said:

Forgive me but an 8-10" lap joint on a piece of plywood? How would I go about that? a full 1/2" sheet of plywood isnt light and its just me working on this. 

1/4" might work but you will have flex. I would use a straight edge (1x4) and a router, start at the edge an move in. Do this on each piece then epoxy together.

Here is an example of what I am talking about starts at 2 min in. FWIW he is using glass as well I think in your case that would be over kill.

Another way to do it would be to make it in 4 separate frames and hang them adjacent to each other. The puzzle picture already has 4 quadrants. Why not mount and frame accordingly. The 4 mounts could actually be frameless or have very thin frames and you could hang them as close or as far apart as you like (think about very large TV screens that are actually multiple modules). 1/4 plywood would probably be perfectly adequate for this.

46 minutes ago, Wimayo said:

Another way to do it would be to make it in 4 separate frames and hang them adjacent to each other. The puzzle picture already has 4 quadrants. Why not mount and frame accordingly. The 4 mounts could actually be frameless or have very thin frames and you could hang them as close or as far apart as you like (think about very large TV screens that are actually multiple modules). 1/4 plywood would probably be perfectly adequate for this.

The problem is that the 4 quadrants attach to one another. Each quadrant has only two straight edges, the other two are meant to connect to each other. 

6 hours ago, Fxguy said:

The problem is that the 4 quadrants attach to one another. Each quadrant has only two straight edges, the other two are meant to connect to each other. 

I assume you are gluing all of the pieces down to the substrate we have been discussing. To keep from having to deal with one huge unwieldy piece, I would rather have it in 4 smaller pieces. On that basis, I would cut the edge pieces to provide a straight edge on each quadrant. When hung, the 4 pieces don't even have to come close together. Having a small gap will not only be easier but, will add some visual interest.