Mick S

Baby on board!

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That dust collection looks like you need a better solution. That's a lot of flex pipe.

All depends on the collector. I have about 15-20 ft to my 12" jointer planer never had an issue and its coming through a shop made wood manifold :o 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man the door in the shot really gives one perspective on what a beast that thing is! Nice use of the crate!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Awe that's a great idea i like it a lot!

That dust collection looks like you need a better solution. That's a lot of flex pipe.

Yep, I'm aware of that. It's on the list. I'm going to live with it as is for a bit. If it's significantly under collecting I may get an inexpensive single stage collector dedicated to it and put it just on the other side of the wall. From what I've read, it produces a mountain of dust in short order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the size of the crate you could of slapped some wheels on it and sold it as a mini house.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chet said:

For the size of the crate you could of slapped some wheels on it and sold it as a mini house.

There were enough nails in it to build a decent sized house or maybe even Noah's ark.. Each batten had 25 - 30 nails in it, 4 battens per side, 4 sides, plus those along the edges and on the ends. I'm guessing 1014 nails. Yes, I deactivated the sensor on my Sawstop before cutting it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Man the door in the shot really gives one perspective on what a beast that thing is! Nice use of the crate!!

With the blade guides all the way up it's the same height as Tim Duncan.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pkinneb said:

All depends on the collector. I have about 15-20 ft to my 12" jointer planer never had an issue and its coming through a shop made wood manifold :o 

Yeah that's a good point. I'm sure it'll work I just have it stuck in my mind to minimize flex to zero preferably. 

3 hours ago, Mick S said:

Yep, I'm aware of that. It's on the list. I'm going to live with it as is for a bit. If it's significantly under collecting I may get an inexpensive single stage collector dedicated to it and put it just on the other side of the wall. From what I've read, it produces a mountain of dust in short order.

I think you'll be fine, I don't know what you have for parts around or the full setup around your drum sander but i'd probably just flip that wye around and extend off of the wye at an angle toward the saw. 

I bet it creates boat loads of dust but it can't be any more than a planer or jointer. Though IIRC your bandsaw has more resaw capacity than your jointer/planer?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 6:48 PM, Chestnut said:

I bet it creates boat loads of dust but it can't be any more than a planer or jointer. Though IIRC your bandsaw has more resaw capacity than your jointer/planer?

Yes, so my next upgrade will be a 20" J/P. Kidding. KIDDING! Conventional thought is that resaw capacity should exceed need by at least 19.4 percent. 

No, I really think that if it becomes an issue I'll add the second DC behind the wall for the bandsaw and the drum sander. Collecting fine dust is different from collecting chips. It tends to slowly build up in the lines, much like cholesterol, blocking the flow. 

The last part of the statement was serious. Fine dust builds up in the lines.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, certainly envious of that! My new baby hasn’t resawn anything yet! Haven’t been able to get the wobble out of him yet, either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW is right Mick, i had to look twice at that cut, looks like its been thru a planer and not a bandsaw! I'm envious of that saw and the shop. Well done sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The baby is a benevolent lovely beast! It will fit in nicely with all the other beasts in the shop. Magnificent tools. It doesn't cost any more to go first class, you just can't stay as long! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mick S said:

 

IMG_09121.jpeg.ec31f5f33651ae166203699daf890418.jpeg

 

That's brilliant!

I'm surprised the height worked out just right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man Mick every time I see that saw I think what a beast! Bet you won't outgrow that bad boy :D

Nice job on the duct work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man that is a nice saw.

I find it very interesting that they put the dust port where they did. I wonder if it collects better there opposed to out the back like what's on my laguna.

Also that motor is mounted in an interesting spot it looks like it's above the Axel for the lower wheel. I figured lower would provide better center of balance but I bet that saw has more than enough weight to be stable even with the largest stock on it... :D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Also that motor is mounted in an interesting spot it looks like it's above the Axel for the lower wheel. I figured lower would provide better center of balance but I bet that saw has more than enough weight to be stable even with the largest stock on it... :D.

That allows the bottom wheel to be lower which means a longer blade. Longer blades run cooler.

Here’s a pic with the lower door open so you can see why they do the dust collection  the way they do. The wooden shoe scrapes the excess off the blade at an angle so that gravity aids in the collection. 

C2AEB107-5696-47E3-B8C7-DDA0D48A4DE7.thumb.jpeg.281e24f29602ce38a938a74e021500b5.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

I thought SCM only made typewriters!

 

I’m not sure when SCMI dropped the I to SCM. I still call them SCMI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.