Sign in to follow this  
Bmac

Discontinuing The Festool RAS 115

Recommended Posts

Not often you can get a Festool on sale, almost a third off. Free shipping to boot. I realize these were not one of Festools best sellers, but;

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/festoolras11504e4-12rotarysander.aspx?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Last+Chance+to+Get+Free+Shipping+at+Highland+Woodworking!&utm_campaign=free+shipping+2nd+send

I actually really like this tool, combined with 24 grit and a vac you can do some aggressive shaping with pretty decent dust collection. Now I can't say that it's as aggressive as a grinder with Holey Galahad discs, those discs are definitely faster and the holes in the discs are nice. What is not nice is the way they create a mess. 

I'm wondering if Festool is replacing this tool with one similar?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought one and have yet to fire it up.... 

Dang that's a good price my reconditioned one was more expensive...

I'm also interested to see if they replace it with something similar. This was their most unrefined tool in their lineup it doesn't surprise me that it's getting discontinued. I also wonder what the future of the accessories and paper is. Tool kinda becomes useless once that stuff wears out and can't be repurchased.

Also onsale here https://www.festoolproducts.com/festool-570789-ras-115-04-e-rotary-sander-t-loc.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm strongly considering picking one of these up.  There's a decent thread over on the FOG forum (Festool Owners Group) about the RAS 115 being retired.  Here's Festool's official response to abrasive availability going forward:  "We are planning for long-term support of the pads and abrasives for the RAS 115 for the foreseeable future and as long as there is reasonable demand."

Link to FOG thread

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized i bougt mine 9 months ago and haven't even taken it out of the box ... but i have it when i need it.

I never thought about using it for paint stripping but that looks like a common use for the tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, anodyne said:

"We are planning for long-term support of the pads and abrasives for the RAS 115 for the foreseeable future and as long as there is reasonable demand."

I am sure that other businesses like Klingspor Abrasives will continue carrying stuff for it also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chet said:

I am sure that other businesses like Klingspor Abrasives will continue carrying stuff for it also.

The hook and lop pad is the one wear item that might not necessarily be available from a 3rd party. As far as paper any H&L 5" disc would work as look as the H&L doesn't wear out.

Seeing as how popular the item appears to be in the US I'd bet they will carry support for the product for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, anodyne said:

I'm strongly considering picking one of these up.  There's a decent thread over on the FOG forum (Festool Owners Group) about the RAS 115 being retired.  Here's Festool's official response to abrasive availability going forward:  "We are planning for long-term support of the pads and abrasives for the RAS 115 for the foreseeable future and as long as there is reasonable demand."

Link to FOG thread

Thanks for that link, it was interesting to see all the love given to the RAS. Mostly I hear people call it a dog or an underpowered wannabe grinder. I find it to be a cleaner and acceptable alternative  to the grinder.

I purchased an extra pad and some adhesives just to have them, don't want to get stuck without.The saphire discs that go on the RAS are the most durable sanding disc I've used. They last forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 2:32 PM, Bmac said:

Thanks for that link, it was interesting to see all the love given to the RAS. Mostly I hear people call it a dog or an underpowered wannabe grinder. I find it to be a cleaner and acceptable alternative  to the grinder.

I purchased an extra pad and some adhesives just to have them, don't want to get stuck without.The saphire discs that go on the RAS are the most durable sanding disc I've used. They last forever.

Thanks for the heads up on the saphire vs rubin.  Never used saphire before.  I prefer granat over rubin as will on my ETS.  Seems to last better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I received mine today and as it was delivered to my office, I had the opportunity to “dust “ the Systainer up a bit so it will look like it’s been in my shop awhile and not a new tool! Really no good reason to that of course. :unsure:

Hey..  Supposedly you retired 6 months ago?  Or was it the 6 months before that?..  Oh hell, I've lost track..  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I received mine today and as it was delivered to my office, I had the opportunity to “dust “ the Systainer up a bit so it will look like it’s been in my shop awhile and not a new tool! Really no good reason to that of course. :unsure:

Well Coop, looks like you are ready to tackle another sculptured chair. You have more time on your hands and a new tool. Which one will it be?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    28020
    Total Topics
    375810
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    21208
    Total Members
    1529
    Most Online
    truecadd
    Newest Member
    truecadd
    Joined