SCM S500P Bandsaw Review

Good choice!  I found out about those top holes the hard way too.  I added another dust port in the lower hinge corner of the lower door, on my old 600, and it helped dust collection a lot.

Even though machines this size are still  bandsaws, they put resawing several leagues ahead of the typical hobbyist bandsaw, and seem like a whole new category of woodworking machinery when you first run one.

• Like 1

I know what Carter guides are and what ceramic guides are, but what are euro guides?

11 hours ago, Mick S said:

Fence was out of perpendicularity to the table +/- 1/64” over 4”. Filed down the landing on the bottom of the fence. Solved.

I had a similar problem with the fence on my Jet (which I admit among bandsaws is a lower life form).  I can forgive the misalignment after all the shipping, but what I find more difficult to accept is the lack of adjustment screws.  I used packaging tape to shim mine.  

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I know what Carter guides are and what ceramic guides are, but what are euro guides?

I’m not sure about the other models, but Jet uses Euro guides on the current 16” model. Two side bearings aligned with the faces parallel to the blade and one thrust bearing perpendicular to the blade. 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, ririzarry said:

Mick,

I got the S 440P.  Same motor.   What power cable did you get for yours?  I'll need to run about 15 feet to the wall.  Thanks.

Rick

It may or may not be the exact same motor. SCM switched manufacturers when they went from the Sx00P to the Sx40P models from Centauro to ACM. Either way, I'm sure it's close enough.

I also have a SCM SC 4E with a 4.8HP motor with the same rating. Both are on 10/3 AWG cables rated at 300V.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received my new S 440P and would like to know where on the tire do you recommend a 1 inch blade be placed?  Some people say bottom of the gullet in the middle of the tire.  But if I do that, the back half of the blade will be off the tire.  

14 minutes ago, ririzarry said:

I just received my new S 440P and would like to know where on the tire do you recommend a 1 inch blade be placed?  Some people say bottom of the gullet in the middle of the tire.  But if I do that, the back half of the blade will be off the tire.  

The current S440P model is now being made by ACM in Italy for SCM. Mine was purchased before they switched to ACM from Centauro, so my saw is not exactly the same as yours. Shouldn't matter, though.

Most American made saws have crowned tires, meaning that there is a slight curvature to them. On that style of tire you should track the blade with the back of the gullets slightly in front of the crown. European bandsaws have flat tires, and are designed to have the blade track with the gullet just over the front edge of the upper tire. 

• Like 1

I don't like putting the gullet on the crown of the tire. It puts all the stress on the weakest part of the blade and i've suffered quite a few blade breaks as a result. Even with a crowned tire I'd try and put the crown on the middle of the band.

@Mick S My S 440P has two 120mm dust ports at the bottom of the machine.  My dust collection system relies upon a 4 inch flex line.  I can connect a Y to the end of the vac line.  I can use a Fernco (1056-44) rubber coupler to wrap around the 120mm ports but I am not sure how to connect 4 inch flex lines from the Y to the rubber coupler.  Any ideas?

17 minutes ago, ririzarry said:

@Mick S My S 440P has two 120mm dust ports at the bottom of the machine.  My dust collection system relies upon a 4 inch flex line.  I can connect a Y to the end of the vac line.  I can use a Fernco (1056-44) rubber coupler to wrap around the 120mm ports but I am not sure how to connect 4 inch flex lines from the Y to the rubber coupler.  Any ideas?

@ririzarry https://www.woodcraft.com/products/4-hose-splice-dust-collection-fitting?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C576455d369702d2f2f0013a2%2C5764563569702d3c42000bea

Use the Fernco 5 x 4 fitting instead of the 4 x 4 to connect to the bandsaw. My saw has a 4" fitting, but my Hammer J/P has a 5". I got the fitting at Lowes.

@Mick S Your review of the S500P was most helpful in making the decision to upgrade from my Delta 14 inch saw. I placed an order for the S440P last week. It should arrive in August/September.

@ririzarryWhen you purchased AC-300S casters for your saw it appears you also needed to purchase longer stems for the casters. Did you get the longer stems from Zambus?

7 minutes ago, Peter Mich said:

@Mick S Your review of the S500P was most helpful in making the decision to upgrade from my Delta 14 inch saw. I placed an order for the S440P last week. It should arrive in August/September.

Congrats!