Is all T-Track the same?

lewisc

I'm putting together a new mitre saw bench that will have aluminum t-track routed into the surface. I'm looking at lengths of t-track. 

Anyone used the Incra t-track?

It costs more and is gold but is it worth the extra cash? The other t-track I'm looking at is a bit cheaper and in stock - the Incra isn't so maybe that's my answer here. 

https://www.timbecon.com.au/site-shop-accessories/t-track-mitre-track/build-it-system-regular-t-track

https://www.timbecon.com.au/site-shop-accessories/t-track-mitre-track/aluminium-t-track

Correct. It is all about your specific needs.  I have 1/4" and 5/16" requirements.  If I were starting from scratch I truly believe the 1/4" would work for everything I do . . . now.  When I was a bit more ham-handed, I would probably have caused a 1/4" fixture of two to fail.  Now that I have a little more finesse I could make my life easier having just the one form factor. 

With the exception of a few Incra tracks all my stuff is Rockler Universal track that accepts 1/4" and 5/16" stuff.  I caught on early enough to buy packs of track, nuts, bolts and knobs when they would go on sale.  At this point Rockler is so proud of the stuff I think they have nearly priced themselves out of the market. 

I have used other brands for miter track and the mating rail (profiles that do not accept 1/4" or 5/16" but, accept each other) that I use for fixtures without any trouble. I have seen a budget thin-wall version at the shows but, passed on it.  I assume it is for more specific requirements as the price difference certainly wold not have driven a decision.

P.s. Despite the Baladonia write up I would countersink the screws.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used this for sliding stops on my miter saw station.  https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71119-Double-Cut-Universal-Predrilled/dp/B075695GSL

It's the one that takes 5/16 and 1/4 T bolts and 1/4 hex head bolts. So to answer the question, not all are the same. There is one specific for each size of bolts and then the universal type. I don't know if one brand is better than another but there are different types.