Sign in to follow this  
curlyoak

Walnut office furniture

Curly Oak, was this what you wanted the super good curly cherry for? The walnut has turned out great!

Yes Spanky that was me. When I finished a piece of cherry for a sample they changed their mind for walnut. I wanted figured for the panels but money got in the way.

It came out great' curlyoak.  Even with the stain--so did you make sure that every drawer lock uses a different key :P?

So because they made you stain you told them blue drawer pulls are standard anything else is extra? I'm not bashing the blue pulls i used them for about 5 months on one piece I made. Stuff happens when you can't find the perfect knob.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, curlyoak said:

Here are the pulls provided by the client

Wow, there's no accounting for taste.

1 hour ago, curlyoak said:

In my eye, the stain makes it look like a non stained piece 20 years old.

But does walnut not lighten with age? I've seen antique walnut furniture that is darn near blonde.

• Like 1

You definitely did a nice job and built a good looking piece.

41 minutes ago, drzaius said:

But does walnut not lighten with age? 

This was my thought.  But the customer is always right. :P

• Like 1

Looks good!

Continuous grain is a big thing to woodworkers, but most non-woodworkers don’t really care. You can point it out to them and they will feign interest (“oh, neat.”), but will then revert their attention to whatever they were looking at before. 

You’ll find one here or there that do appreciate it, but they probably won’t want the piece stained either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnG said:

Continuous grain is a big thing to woodworkers, but most non-woodworkers don’t really care. You can point it out to them and they will feign interest (“oh, neat.”), but will then revert their attention to whatever they were looking at before

You are so right. Sometimes I have a wide board to dress and is wider than my 8" jointer to make the first reference for the thickness planer. Sometimes I take the lumber to a friendly shop that allows me a few minutes on their jointer. Other times I may use a hand plane to clean it up. And to the point of nobody knows, I will rip the wide board, plane it and glue it back together. Can't tell. And so many other things we may be concerned about. But we still persist.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I agree to a point but believe most will see a beautiful piece and just may not understand what is different, what makes it stand out...that is for us to educate them on :) 

Very true. 

• Like 1