james rabbit

Recommendation on a woodworking books for beginners

You are going to get many responses to that question, and all will be worth investigating.  There is no one book that will get you started, all of them will give you insights. A little here, a little there. But it's all worth absorbing. Check out some Youtube videos as well.  But the very first thing you need to learn is safety.  The loss of fingers kinda screws up your day.

• Like 1

Welcome! My advice is pick an entry level project or even a difficult one and start researching what you need to learn in order to complete it. FWIW this is my advice on tools as well pick the project and buy the tools as you need them. As things come up ask questions here there is a lot of knowledge on this site and folks are very willing to share.

Understanding Wood, R. Bruce Hoadley. Not a How-to book, but it helps a lot to have a solid understanding of the material you're working with.

There was a recent thread on reading material but I’ll be darned if I can find it. Maybe someone with more knowledgeable? 

Aside from reading here, there are numerous sources in print and online. Do have a leaning toward electro-powered vs. meat-powered tools? If so, it might help narrow your search a bit.

In either case, I suggest you include information on making and keeping your cutting edges sharp. Much like bacon, sharp makes everything better.  The Perfect Edge , by Ron Hock, is a good treatise on the hows and whys of sharp tools. In fact, the Hock websites sells a number of useful volumes from various authors.

• Like 1

There was another, more general list of recommended books, but I can't find it either.   I thought it was a sticky at the top of one of the forums.