Bmac

Curly Maloof Rocker

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

These steps are magnified by the fact that they are usually toward the end were mistakes are more costly.

And where get done-itis also makes them more likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great Bmac! I have another question is there a reason you didn’t use a one piece block for the riser between the rocker and the leg?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you give any thought to doing some of the shaping on things like the rockers using a spoke shave?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Looks great Bmac! I have another question is there a reason you didn’t use a one piece block for the riser between the rocker and the leg?

Well the reason for the laminates is you are gluing the riser onto a surface that is not flat, but rather has a curve. So the strips that make up the riser become part of the curved lamination that is the rocker.

45 minutes ago, Chet said:

Did you give any thought to doing some of the shaping on things like the rockers using a spoke shave?

Absolutely a spoke shave works on shaping a lot of these areas. I've really gravitated toward the rasps because of their versatility and the fact you don't need to pay attention to grain direction and etc like you do with a spoke shave.

19 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Maybe the best build thread ever!!

That's pretty high praise and I've humbled you would even think that. Thanks for the kind words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Well the reason for the laminates is you are gluing the riser onto a surface that is not flat, but rather has a curve. So the strips that make up the riser become part of the curved lamination that is the rocker.

That's a nice piece of attention to detail there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bmac said:

Well the reason for the laminates is you are gluing the riser onto a surface that is not flat, but rather has a curve. So the strips that make up the riser become part of the curved lamination that is the rocker.

ahh makes sense now thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spanky said:

Bmac, I keep looking for pics of the finished rocker? 

Any day now, maybe even later today. I put the last coat of oil/wax on it last night. Took the long road with the finish, 3 coats of oil/poly and 2 coats of oil/wax. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:wub::wub::wub:

Absolutely gorgeous! Now that you have made one in walnut, cherry, and maple, which did you like working with the most for the rocker?

Which one is the least comfortable? I'll take it off your hands for you :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bmac said:

When I left off here I had to do the final sanding of the rockers and lower legs. Then it was wet down the whole rocker to raise the grain and then resand the whole rocker. Dye was applied next and again I had to resand the whole rocker!

I think you should have done a "real time" video of all of this so we could have enjoyed the joyless task with you. :)

Normally a persons most recent project is there favorite but of the three rockers do you gravitate towards one?

You most certainly did a great job on this one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Beautiful, beautiful work @Bmac and that dye really did it’s job on making that grain pop, that’s some of the finest work I’ve seen on here and an awesome trio that will last several lifetimes. Well done sir!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnG said:

:wub::wub::wub:

Absolutely gorgeous! Now that you have made one in walnut, cherry, and maple, which did you like working with the most for the rocker?

Which one is the least comfortable? I'll take it off your hands for you :P

 

24 minutes ago, Chet said:

I think you should have done a "real time" video of all of this so we could have enjoyed the joyless task with you. :)

Normally a persons most recent project is there favorite but of the three rockers do you gravitate towards one?

You most certainly did a great job on this one.

First, all 3 woods, cherry, walnut and maple, were ideal for this project. The tiger maple with all its figure really turned up the wow factor and was very easy to work with. I've made 2 of these rockers before these 3, and those first two were cherry. Can't really say I have a favorite wood, I think all the woods worked similarly and all took just as long to sand. This chair is a real labor of love, by the time I'm done I've felt every surface, edge, joint, corner and roundover hundreds of times. The hand sanding is tiresome, but at least at that point you can see the chair and it's nice form and shape, that's enough to encourage one forward through the repetitive parts. 

In the end the tiger maple is by far the prettiest one I've built. That figure just popped! So I guess @Chet the tiger maple is my favorite.

@JohnG Unfortunately for you they are all very comfortable! Actually the cherry rocker is a Christmas gift for my father. I'll keep the walnut and curly maple ones with me. I hope to make a few white oak ones for the porch in the future.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bmac, that rocker needs to come back to the mtns of Tennessee ;). Hey, you done a great job on that rocker! I was hoping that you wouldn’t be disappoint with the wood.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spanky said:

Bmac, that rocker needs to come back to the mtns of Tennessee ;). Hey, you done a great job on that rocker! I was hoping that you wouldn’t be disappoint with the wood.

Rickey, that wood was a real pleasure to work, now I hope you can find some more this winter!!!!!

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Some may consider this sac religious but, with all due respect, I don’t think Mr. Maloof could have done or, did any better! Well done Bmac on the chair and the journal. 

Coop you are way to kind. I think it is sacrilegious to say that. I'm just trying to copy the original. Glad you liked the journal, I find doing a journal helps me to do my best. Now I want to see what you make out of Rickey's awesome curly maple!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as Christmas is over and my wife gets her decorations off the mantel, I plan to make a bracket for the slab to mount on. Kind of like an old cherished muzzleloader. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Rickey, that wood was a real pleasure to work, now I hope you can find some more this winter!!!!!

 

Bmac it will need to be springtime to find anymore. I looked for that log three years, It may take three more years to get one that good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.