floor board finished with shellac

A.Gloss

I'm not sure what the products you are referring to are.

If you are going to apply a shellac, make sure that it's dewaxed. If you use a shellac that isn't dewaxed the wax will not allow the varnish to adhere and it will flake off over time. Dewaxed shellac is labeled , so if it's not stated it's not dewaxed.

Zinsser Bullseye Shellac is not dewaxed. Zinsser Bullseye SealCoat IS dewaxed. 

I have heard from multiple sources that aerosol spray shellac is dewaxed, but have not been able to confirm that claim. It makes sense that the wax could cause problems with the spray nozzle, but I still go for the SealCoat when I need it to be dewaxed.

4 hours ago, JohnG said:

Zinsser Bullseye Shellac is not dewaxed. Zinsser Bullseye SealCoat IS dewaxed. 

I have heard from multiple sources that aerosol spray shellac is dewaxed, but have not been able to confirm that claim. It makes sense that the wax could cause problems with the spray nozzle, but I still go for the SealCoat when I need it to be dewaxed.

John,

Your sources are right about the spray shellac.  It is de-waxed, but they don't make that information very prominent.  There's nothing about it on the front of the can.  They mention it, almost in passing, on the back of the can, under "Uses."

Seems like this could lead to some confusion.  I could see someone who has used the spray product, but has a bigger piece to finish, picking up a larger can, assuming it's exactly the same product.

I was very happy with the spray, but I was using it as a finish coat, so no experience with putting another finish on top.

Spray shellac.jpg

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'm not sure what the products you are referring to are.

If you are going to apply a shellac, make sure that it's dewaxed. If you use a shellac that isn't dewaxed the wax will not allow the varnish to adhere and it will flake off over time. Dewaxed shellac is labeled , so if it's not stated it's not dewaxed.

Thank you for your answer.  is really helpful due to the fact that I have to give guarantees to my end customer.

received_436522573642635.jpeg

What if I make myself shellac diluted in alcohol?  will the alcohol evaporate and shellac remain on the wood surface?

I mean to apply shellac so that it naturally covers the wood surface, lightly polish, then grund under the varnish, and then 2 layers of varnish, e.g. Bona Mega Natural Ultra matt./with an appropriate interval between application

What if I want to mix shellac with amber fossil resin, or after applying shellac apply a thin layer of fossil resin, and then only grund under varnish, and 2x ultra matt varnish (effect of raw wood)?

I think if you are doing this commercially you really need to contact the manufactures for the products you are using and get their recommendations on the proper means and methods.

Most of what people on this form use is furniture related and the flooring products are quite foreign to us.

As a note all shellac is dissolved in alcohol. The alcohol evaporates and leaves the shellac on the surface of the wood. A de-waxed shellac removes the wax from the shellac resin. Shellac comes in flakes of various colors blonde Amber and garnet from light to dark respectively. Each of the colors are offered from various suppliers in waxed and de-waxed varieties. You can mix your own or buy a commercially available product. Most of us are located in North America and the products we have available could be vastly different from those offered in other parts of the world.

2 hours ago, A.Gloss said:

I mean to apply shellac so that it naturally covers the wood surface, lightly polish, then grund under the varnish, and then 2 layers of varnish, e.g. Bona Mega Natural Ultra matt./with an appropriate interval between application

I am not familiar with the term "grund".  What is it?

You mentioned polishing the shellac.  About all that the first coat of shellac will do is seal the surface of the wood and raise the fibers of the wood.  This will required light sanding.  Is this what you mean by "polish"?

8 hours ago, Ronn W said:

I am not familiar with the term "grund".  What is it?

You mentioned polishing the shellac.  About all that the first coat of shellac will do is seal the surface of the wood and raise the fibers of the wood.  This will required light sanding.  Is this what you mean by "polish"?

"Grund" -dispersion primer 

"In contrast to conventional paints, the feel and appearance continue to be reminiscent of a raw, finely ground wood.  The best result is achieved with a previous primer by Bona White.  Enjoy the feeling of natural wood."

• Like 2