Help needed with bare keyhole in BEAUTIFUL armoire.

justjill3

Hi, 
I purchased a lovely Armoire at a yard sale, so I don’t know it’s history or value. I do know that someone wanted to lock the doors. (Otherwise, both just swing open.) I have included a composite picture of 1) the remaining original hardware and 2) the current state of the lock. Can you help me fix this? 
Thanks in advance.

BA248984-BF1F-45DE-B40C-006285B7BD85.jpeg

It's a little hard to tell from your pics just what is missing and/or broken.  Looks like there was originally a keyed lock and also some spring-action latches on the doors.  The answer depends, in part, on whether you want to try to get it back to how it was originally, or just want to be able to keep the doors closed without tying the handles together.

I've had pretty good luck finding "restoration" type hardware at Van Dyke's - https://www.vandykes.com/ .  You could search there for "cabinet lock" or "cabinet latch" and see what looks similar to what you have.  

If you don't care about actually locking the doors, you might just go with a lock escutcheon to make it look like a lock, without actually installing a locking mechanism.

Google "round keyhole escutcheon", and see what you can come up with.  Lock location, and four screw holes on the back says it might be an old surface mount house door lock.

The bullet catch was probably added later, but possibly could be original.   The other old parts are pretty cool!

I thank each of you who took the time to respond.

To G Ragatz: Thanks for taking the time to examine my images. I might be mislabeling things, but my thinking is that I included pics of two spring latches and their catches currently on the door. They function like a charm. Don’t want to take away from the look of the armoire. Must have an additional sort of a latching mechanism, though, as the doors fall open without that. Thinking about using shims, though, to reduce the likelihood of that. Thanks for the heads-up about Van Dyke. Was actually on the phone with them earlier today. Found a key, lock, escutcheon set that looked like it would be perfect. Wanted to take a more thorough look at all of the hardware first and hear from people who might be a little more knowledgeable then customer service. Nice lady, but sounded like she didn’t know enough to help.

To Tom King:

Thanks, again, for taking the time to examine my images. Had already googled eschutcheon and found great sources like Van Dyke. I wanted the direct human touch :-) in solving this problem. I figured that someone else has encountered a problem like this can could offer extra guidance. I was right.

Will continue to check this thread, but thanks to all who have responded so far.