Rocko

Cross cut sled

Built my 1st jig. Turned out OK not 100% pleased. Think it is .094 (3/32) out of square. Need to learn the process of reducing that number.  

20191023_100940.jpg

20191023_100946.jpg

20191023_101008.jpg

Search William Ng 5 cuts to a perfect crosscut sled on YouTube he does a nice job of explaining how to get it spot on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Search William Ng 5 cuts to a perfect crosscut sled on YouTube he does a nice job of explaining how to get it spot 

10-4

Ya, 3/32" out might as well be a mile. I've watched scores of sled videos & William Ng's worked the best for me. Plus, he's got some great 'dad' jokes.

I like to use hardwood or plywood for sled fences as i feel they have better rigidity performance compared to MDF. They also will take a screw and not break apart like yours did.

Your fence looks nice and fancy though. Mine is ugly enough to work as a halloween prop.

Just now, Chestnut said:

I like to use hardwood or plywood for sled fences as i feel they have better rigidity performance compared to MDF. They also will take a screw and not break apart like yours did.

Yeah was just saving on cost. Remake will be better

• Like 1

Ok watched part of NG video. Questions...

Seems it doesn't matter which side is your pivot point, right? Positive # is in front of fence negative # is behind fence, right? 

Next, point of adjustment spit along fence?

I suggest putting the fence about 2" forward of the trailing edge, and attach it with a single screw next to the cut line. Then glue a block to the corner of the sled, behind the fence, a little less than 2" wide. Drill through the block horizontally and run a bolt through from the rear to push against the fence and serve as a fine adjustment screw. I have poor results attempting to make minute adjustments by hand.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:55 AM, Chestnut said:

Also on second look, I like to have a forward fence to increase the rigidity of the sled.

Yes, definitely add a forward fence.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:55 AM, Chestnut said:

Also on second look, I like to have a forward fence to increase the rigidity of the sled.

Forward fence? As in move the whole fence forward on the sled?

On 10/26/2019 at 1:23 PM, wtnhighlander said:

No, a second fence across the leading edge of the sled. Keeps the 2 halves together on sled designs that span across the cut line.

Gotcha 

20 hours ago, gee-dub said:

571773fc136ed_BoxSled(11).jpg.8b876f16c13d16e25f70884c14878b31.jpg

like so.

Ten four