derekcohen

Entry hall table for a niece

I have not done a project, beyond the simplest, that I haven't screwed something up. It's nice that you thoroughly discuss the missteps and the solutions to them. Not only is it a great learning experience for the rest of us, but it's also good to know that others mess up sometimes.

Derek, i tried browsing your website and i couldn't help but to notice all of the links on the home page are broken and all result in 404 errors.

I just caught back up to this. I misunderstood what you were going to do with the end spacers that are glued cross grain to the case. I thought you were going to make vertical cuts into the spacer to relieve the potential restriction of movement of the case. If you make a few vertical cuts into and through the spacer these cuts will not be visible and they will allow the case to move more freely. No longer would you need to hope the spacers "stretch" if the side of the case expands. 

I think this is an easy thing to do that would add some piece of mind.

4 hours ago, Bmac said:

I just caught back up to this. I misunderstood what you were going to do with the end spacers that are glued cross grain to the case. I thought you were going to make vertical cuts into the spacer to relieve the potential restriction of movement of the case. If you make a few vertical cuts into and through the spacer these cuts will not be visible and they will allow the case to move more freely. No longer would you need to hope the spacers "stretch" if the side of the case expands. 

I think this is an easy thing to do that would add some piece of mind.

It is not possible to make vertical cuts into the space.

The sections came out so cleanly that it is likely that I will remove the side spacers and replace them.

Regards from Perth

Derek

34 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

That is an old page which is no longer on my website. How did you access it?

Regards from Perth

Derek

10 hours ago, derekcohen said:

That is an old page which is no longer on my website. How did you access it?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I clicked on your link and wandered through your stuff and found it. I think it's from a page called "Links".

I've perused your site many times in the past; this is no big deal just thought since someone mentioned your links were 404 that you may want to fix - or delete - that one (it's your site after all :) ).

I thank you for this - I was just curious how you found that page since I thought that I had not provided a link to it in an index. It is very out-of-date.

Kind regards

Derek

• Like 1

I’ve made splayed angle-legged plant stands for my wife but they generally scare me. My drill press is a small bench top version with no stops so that an added challenge to my already overtaxed brain. Those are interesting bits; I’d’ve grabbed a Forstner and not given it a second thought. Now I have to look those up!
I love the dovetailed leg bases, they’ll be ultra sturdy at the end. I’d use my router table and careful setup as I don’t have a handy little dovetail plane. 
Looking forward to more progress Derek :) 

• Like 1

Wonderful post and that little dovetail plane is quite interesting. 

I agree completely with your reasoning of putting the base of the legs in the same place on the underside of the case. Really curious why the location of the leg bases were off, and the fact it was exactly the same the second try makes me even more curious. 

That 1/4" is curious.

The only way that someone would notice the 1/4" difference is if the piece sits on plank flooring. I've found a couple pieces of furniture that were not square at all when i had them set on hardwood floors and each leg was sitting on a different row of hardwood. Even still 1/4" is goign to be hard to spot then.

• Like 1

Derek, first off, you continue to amaze. Secondly, what is an angled saw guide and what are the round inserts shown in the pic?

It just struck me, it’s being used for it’s intended purpose? Is this something that you ripped at that angle or a purchased product. And the inserts? 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 10:57 AM, derekcohen said:

I could not work out how this occurred.

So back to that niggling 1/4", it didn't seem so farfetched to me.  It would only take a tiny difference in the mounting angle of the legs to the carcass to create that much difference in the position of the feet.  So dusting off some old (very old) geometry with the Google brush, I was reminded of this (OK, I probably never actually knew this):

http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.07/h/lucy1.html

So given that you have the three lengths of a triangle you can calculate any of the three angles.  If I've done the calculation correctly and assuming the legs are 100cm long it would only take an angle of .363 degrees  to move the tip of the leg .635 cm (1/4").  This may not be the exact dimension, but it makes the point that the error here is easily within the surface variation of the "flat" bottom of the carcass.  

The good news, I don't think anyone visiting your niece is just going to happen to have a plumb bob in there pocket.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks Derek. I was wondering if they were magnets but figured they would bind the saw if so. I guess they are recessed enough so as to just to keep the saw aligned. Great idea. 

Very creative Derek. Beyond my capacity to figure out. 
I’ve never seen Jarrah so of course have never used it, but it sounds awesome. Probably the closest I’ve come to it is wenge? Although it appears to be much more open-grained. 

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 103 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RationalThinking
    Newest Member
    RationalThinking