Tobykanobe

Help me plan my dust collection system!

Yeah, the fan housing on the HF dust collector is definitely a 5" port, same as the output hose that goes up to the bag holder thingy.

The 5" to 4" PVC adapter will probably work.   Keep in mind that the OD of 4" PVC is actually 4.5", and 5" PVC is like 5.5" so it's going to run a bit larger, but it is likely flexible enough you can clamp it down hard to fit.   

I used one of these on my dust deputy which has a 2" OD port and it was flexible enough to clamp it down...

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-2-1-2-to-2-1-4-conversion-port

Worse case, you take some gorilla tape and wrap a couple layers around the port to make it thicker so the rubber PVC fitting fits better. :-)

I don't think you can beat $6... but one more suggestion... that might work, but it's a leap of faith.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/oneida-air-systems-metal-straight-5in-to-4in-reducer-dust-fitting

They state it's designed to fit over the 5" port of the super dust deputy to use a 4" hose...   so in theory... and it's metal so with the proper hammer it might fit. :-)

Well. damn it.  That $6 Amazon adapter is way to large on both sides, even when compressed.  So the  work around was to use a short length of the flexible 4" to make the transition.  By the time I hooked up one port to my table saw, the second port to the miter saw wall, and the third to FastCaps shop vac reel/hose, I realized that I need a larger DC.  The suction is mediocre.  Just enough to suck up, but not enough to raise my eyebrows.  It will do for now, but I'll need something larger soon.

16 minutes ago, Tobykanobe said:

Well. damn it.  That $6 Amazon adapter is way to large on both sides, even when compressed.  So the  work around was to use a short length of the flexible 4" to make the transition.  By the time I hooked up one port to my table saw, the second port to the miter saw wall, and the third to FastCaps shop vac reel/hose, I realized that I need a larger DC.  The suction is mediocre.  Just enough to suck up, but not enough to raise my eyebrows.  It will do for now, but I'll need something larger soon.

You're going to need gates to close off lines, so only one is in use at a time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

You're going to need gates to close off lines, so only one is in use at a time.

This will help immensely.