Chip Sawdust

Pennsylvania spice box build

I guess you can’t see the router bits too well in that last picture. Here they are out of the packages in better light.

Yep, the one on the left has a chip but the other cutter is fine so it still works.

65D42225-1E3E-4F93-A079-6C87A2602E34.jpeg

I think that breaking that profile into more managable sections and gluing it back up at the end is the way to go. I can't see how you would maintain a reference face, otherwise.

• Like 1

Thanks Highlander - with the bits I have and whatnot I think that’s the best way. I don’t have bits that’ll make that exact profile so I’m going to have to dream up something that looks traditional but is doable :) 

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I think that breaking that profile into more managable sections and gluing it back up at the end is the way to go. I can't see how you would maintain a reference face, otherwise.

Doing it in sections will work fine.  All your glue lines will be lost in the design of the overall profile.  I did something similar to this years ago using three different crown moldings to make a mantel for our fire place. 

will you be adding in a lock for the sugar? :)

I know many old spicy boxes had a area to put expensive sugar in the 1800s also expensive silver might be stored in a spice box. 

On 2/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, duckkisser said:

will you be adding in a lock for the sugar? :)

I know many old spicy boxes had a area to put expensive sugar in the 1800s also expensive silver might be stored in a spice box. 

Funny you should ask :) I have a mortise lock ready to go, and only Mama will have the key. So if she wants to put sugar in there, I’ll never know! 

Thanks @Coop, it’s going slow, but I did start on the drawers a couple days ago so there’ll be updates soon. I also got another 1/4” plug cutter so I may try the berries on the door again. Going to have to take it real slow in that red gum wood. That Aussie stuff is tuff!

Ok is this a sin? I couldn’t find poplar wide enough to run the grain across the long drawer, but it’ll fit this way. Am I looking for trouble? It’s 12 3/4” x 8 1/2” and 1/4” thick. 

7DE45397-CB18-480D-8530-E606FFE9325B.jpeg

It looks like heartwood so I’m hoping it won’t be an issue. 

• Like 1

If I read that right, this is for the drawer bottom? If so, running the grain across the width is good, as the rear can be left to expand outward. 

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

If I read that right, this is for the drawer bottom? If so, running the grain across the width is good, as the rear can be left to expand outward. 

Thanks Highlander, I was worried about whether I got it right. I ALWAYS use plywood but this plan calls for 1/4” bottoms so I cut everything with that in mind then D’OH realized all my “1/4” ply is 3/16” *shrug*