Old Style - Quick Grip Bar Clamp by Vise-Grip : replacement pad (yellow)

Martin-IT

Hi,

I have many Quick Grip Clamp (24", 36") with the old yellow pad.

I found online replacement pad, for the smaller size clamp (which I also have), but I need the large size pad.

Anyone found a replacement for them ?

I'm hobbyist and they have serve me well. For one hand operation, they are easier to use than the bessey parallel clamp.

Any clamps I've ever bought have had the pads fail, either by falling apart or slipping off. None of the leather pads I've put on those clamps has ever failed. Leather is super tough & it seems to have just the right amount of compressibility. I cut the pads from a hide about 1/8" thick.

I just got tired of fighting with those stupid factory pads. 

2 hours ago, Martin-IT said:

I have never work with leather and don't know where I could find it.

What type of glue do you use ?

Where do you buy it ? Online supplier ?  

eBay, Amazon, old belts, old tool bags, old boots...you don’t need any finish, so thick craft lots of small chunks from a craft store will do just fine also. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

For work bench holding nothing beats hold fasts. Faster and easier to use imo. Also much lower profile.

That is the truth. Just a good old fashioned one. Not that mechanized abomination that Lee Valley sells. Not that it's bad, I guess, but why to you need something screws & levers & the like when a simple chunk of steel is faster & better. Give it a good whack & the work piece is going nowhere.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I love Lee Valley, but they do carry more than their share of gimmicky, less than useful stuff.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, drzaius said:

That is the truth. Just a good old fashioned one. Not that mechanized abomination that Lee Valley sells. Not that it's bad, I guess, but why to you need something screws & levers & the like when a simple chunk of steel is faster & better. Give it a good whack & the work piece is going nowhere.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I love Lee Valley, but they do carry more than their share of gimmicky, less than useful stuff.

Kinda like peckerheads stuff for the most part.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:33 AM, Martin-IT said:

Anyone interested in doing this modification to their clamp:

You'd need an awfully thin bench top to use those.  For those with slightly thicker tops:

holddown-1.jpg.091f3a01894614398d694d22eb1b9483.jpgholddown-2.jpg.4bf6297fced88a2ce75468793664b259.jpgholddown-3.jpg.28c7dbabe4ed8edb624249305e852e75.jpgholddown-4.jpg.ccde387bece61c662ee37d1e683d1dbf.jpg

As to the pads; back when those clamps first came out, I emailed Irwin about buying some and they sent me a dozen(???).