Cedar and Cypress wood

Joseph W.

What I would like to do is build a family dinner table. The wood I want to use is cedar and Cypress. I am concerned that the two different woods will contract and expand differently. 

Does anyone have experience with both types of wood and can I build the table with these two types of wood together? 

Thank you

I use a lot of western red cedar and I have experience with cypress.  Both of these species are excellent outside. Resistance to rot. I have never used either on inside projects. Why are you set on these 2 species? For the money there are other woods that could make a better table. Both are soft. If you write a letter with one piece of paper your writing will be engraved in the soft wood.

PS You can combine the 2 woods.

@Joseph W., can you help us understand why you chose those two species? As stated, they should be compatible enough, but are both rather soft for the kind of use a dining table sees. If we know more about your table design, perhaps some good ideas about how to mitigate issues arising from that softness can be formulated.