I haven’t done anything stupid for a while...

lewisc

Until today. I set the incra mitre gauge close to the blade to give as much support as possible for a small piece of timber to cut some angles. Once done, I set the angle (saw tilts to the right) and then made my cut. I wondered for a second where the aluminium shavings were coming from. 

It wasn’t a smart moment. 

6286F9DA-859E-4526-A788-C6AB54C95AA4.jpeg

• Sad 4

Just hack 1cm off the end. You didn't need a fence that long anyway. :P

That sucks. I've been super careful with my miter gauges but i bet it's only time until I do this to one of mine as well.

If it bothers you enough incra does sell replacement parts.

https://www.incrementaltools.com/PARTS_INCRA_Miter_1000HD_p/pc-miter1000hd.htm

• Haha 1

I've had my incra 1000 15 or more years. I like it and use it a lot. I have a few pieces of wood that  have a piece of wood that looks like a  flag at the end of a stick. For a stop. I clamp it on to the fence and I can get longer repeat cut. Reliable. I just got new bushings or parts that fit into the piece that goes into the table saw slot. Made it like brand new. Didn't cost much. I have a 6" incra square. Also reliable.

7 hours ago, lewisc said:

It’s only cosmetic but it will bug me a bit every time I see it. Lesson learned. Thankfully it was just aluminium and not more serious. 

@gee-dub Thanks for those pics. I’m didn’t even think of modding it. You don’t like the Incra flip stop?

I do like the Incra flip stop.  I just happened to have already standardized on the Rockler stuff before I bought the gauge.  I use the same Rockler stops on the miter gauge, DP fence and router table fence.  Its a paradox; I will try to make items in the shop do double-duty to avoid snow-drifts of accessories and will then turn around and have 3 or 4 of something so I can have one at each station where I use it :wacko:

I did something similar on my Saw Stop a while back.  No shavings for me... things happen too fast to generate shavings.  But I sure didn't have to wonder what happened.  Instantaneous quiet... no saw blade in sight!  When I looked at my miter gauge, I could barely see the nick in the metal.