Inlay in Baltic Birch plywood?

cloyd1980

Hey all,

It’s entirely possible that this is a stupid question, but I’m going to ask anyway. I’m going to be building a set of cornhole boards as a gift and was thinking about doing a simple 1/2” inlay around the edges of the Baltic birch plywood top. Has anyone ever done anything like this in plywood? Will it even work? Any help/advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Corey

Thanks everyone, that’s very encouraging to hear and I appreciate the help! I’m not sure what wood I’m going to use for the inlay yet. I want to use something dark for contrast and know I have some Ipe laying around but can’t remember if it’s long enough for my purpose. If not, I’ll probably just go buy some walnut. 

Just a thought but if the inlay is just going on the outside edges, why not just band it with your contrasting wood. I just made some doors for some cabinets and did just that. Rip your walnut or whatever, the thickness of your ply, miter your corners and attach with brads and glue. 

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Just a thought but if the inlay is just going on the outside edges, why not just band it with your contrasting wood. I just made some doors for some cabinets and did just that. Rip your walnut or whatever, the thickness of your ply, miter your corners and attach with brads and glue. 

Not actually on the edge, it will be 3” in from the edge on all sides