The Morley Lounge Chair

Bmac

I watched him via instagram as he did about 12 - 15 of these in one run.  Looks like an interesting project for sure.  On the surface it looks somewhat simple but watching some of his short videos on certain parts, there is more to this chair then meets the eye.  He has a place in Florida, I believe, thats set up to do the cushions for him when he makes these.  You might contact him if you are interested, I have emailed him a couple of times, he's a pretty helpful guy.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RichardA said:

That looks like an interesting build. With some places for additional design elements.  Have fun.   

If anyone can add a little pizzaz in a good way, we know he can. Look forward to another great instructional journal! 

• Like 1

Ordered the plan from Morley. Really just schematics, absolutely no instruction, which I'm fine with. It will take some studying to figure it out but I will likely change it some. What's great about the schematics is it gives me an idea about measurements and angles in the chair. Maloof did a bunch of designs off this type of chair, but I've never had any guides to help me with them. 

17 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Not my style but I admire both his and your work so I look forward to following along when you get started. 

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm not a big MCM fan, but that chair is extremely well-executed. The spalted panel (ash??) is a killer detail in the otherwise very understated walnut frame.

This style has only recently become more attractive to me. It's funny preferences can evolve or change. The panel is spalted sycamore and it is a cool detail. Not one I'm sure I'll keep though.

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

If anyone can add a little pizzaz in a good way, we know he can. Look forward to another great instructional journal! 

This one is going to take some thinking, I'd really like to see it with more sculptured features, esp in the arms. The arms look so boring to me in this piece. Here are some Maloof samples;

Walnut Hueter Chair with black leather upholstery

Walnut Fan back chair/black tufted leather seat

And my favorite from Maloof;

Lounge Chair

So I'll see what I can figure out. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

You need one board of the Ambrosia Curly Maple for that chair. :D

I'd really like some of that Gum, or if you can get quarter sawn Sycamore!

I'd also take curly ambrosia Maple too, and your right, that would look nice in that panel, thought that immediately.

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

I'd really like some of that Gum, or if you can get quarter sawn Sycamore!

I'd also take curly ambrosia Maple too, and your right, that would look nice in that panel, thought that immediately.

I think the Houston boy got all the super good QS Sycamore. ( He like’s alot of Cream) I still have some the curly ambrosia maple, not sure if it’s as good as what you got. I may have a board or two of the red gum.

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

The third chair really turns my crank. Gorgeous to look at & looks very comfortable.

34 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I agree that 3rd chair is awesome. It would be really interesting to see a mashup of the morly chair and maloof style.

I agree guys, that 3rd one is very cool. And I agree with you Nut, would be nice to see some Maloof in that Morley design, or as you put it a mashup. 

Perhaps since I want to do a lounge chair and with how nice that Maloof chair looks, I should just try and copy that chair.

I'm in agreement, #3 is what I should tackle. I still think I'll tackle the Morley chair in the future, but the Maloof #3 is first. I'm going to do some homework and talk to a patient of mine who should be able to help me with the upholstery. I wish I had a pic of the back of the chair, I think I can handle construction on the parts I see, but the back is somewhat a mystery to me. I'm assuming it's 3 crosspieces. I'll be guessing at angles, but there are standards for lounge chairs I can use and the Morley schematics will also help.

This should be fun.

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

Bmac what wood will you make the chair out of?  I have some curly walnut shorts around 4 ft long 8/4  9/4 thick. It has been air drying for almost a year, but it would need to go in the kiln. 

The Ole Boy From Houston hasn’t seen it! :D

Boy, I'd be happy to take that off your hands, and hopefully it will help the old sawyers pocketbook!

Send me a pm

On 12/11/2019 at 11:54 PM, Bmac said:

Looking for a new challenge and I've been interested in building a Mid-century lounge chair. I was very excited to see that Philip Morley has plans on his website for his lounge chair;

IMG_6439-uai-2064x1376.jpg

This is a sharp looking chair. Has anyone here built this or a chair similar to this? I've bought the plans and hope to dive into it this winter.

This is one of three featured in a recent FWW magazine article ...

011277030-main-700x394.jpg

To be blunt, I find these designs very bland. I prefer something less box-like.

Here's a chair I built .... not my design. It is by Hans Wegner ...

The-Chair.jpg

The-Chair.jpg

Wegner was (is) famous for his chair designs. Look him up.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2