Advice on compressor hose

curlyoak

Avoid the cheap, almost transparent urethane ones.  The hose ends don't have good longevity, since the hose is so flexible.  At some age, which is not that old, the hose pops off the end, and flails all around.  They also kink pretty easily.

Rubber lasts forever, but it holds dirt, and sawdust.  I don't even use those in the mechanic shop.

I have two 3/8's hoses that are 45 years old, and still kicking.  I don't remember the type, or brand name, but I bought them from Senco, when I bought a bunch of nail guns.  They aren't super flexible, but are plenty flexible.  The cover is pretty hard, but nothing sticks to it.  I wish I knew the brand name, and type, because I've looked for them since I bought those first two 100' hoses.

I have one Flexilla (or Flexeel-something like that) which is only a couple of years old, but so far, I like it fine.   One thing that worried me to start with was that the ends, including the threaded parts, are plastic (even though it doesn't look, or feel like plastic), but so far, so good.

I have this one  Goodyear Retractable Compressor

It is by far the best one I have ever had.  It is light weight, real flexible, it doesn't fight you when you are moving it around.  Its a real soft pliable material.  I have had it over 5 years  and don't see so much as the beginings of a weak or worn spot.  Thee retractor works nice and smooth.  Its a bit pricey but so far worth every penny.

I agree with avoiding the urathane ones. Also to add they don't seem to flow as well as the 3/8" rubber.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030EU5Y4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The above is what i use, rubber 50' good year. Probably the same hose in Chet's reel just without the reel. That is if reels aren't your thing.

I use a Flexzilla hose & retracting reel. The hose is very nice; light, flexible & never tangles. And surprisingly, despite the day-glo yellow surface, stays clean. The reel works well.

I tossed all my old rubber ones, not because they leaked, but because they were so miserable to use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

I use a Flexzilla hose & retracting reel. The hose is very nice; light, flexible & never tangles. And surprisingly, despite the day-glo yellow surface, stays clean. The reel works well...

That would be nice on both counts! I have a real mounted on the ceiling with a 50' rubber hose. The real works well but the red hose is dirty and gets knotted up if I pull it across the shop. Typically it only goes about 10' so not a huge issue but "never  tangles" would be nice.

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

I use a Flexzilla hose & retracting reel. The hose is very nice; light, flexible & never tangles. And surprisingly, despite the day-glo yellow surface, stays clean. The reel works well.

I tossed all my old rubber ones, not because they leaked, but because they were so miserable to use.

+1 I have a hose reel in my shop and also one in my garage.  Replaced both over time with the Flexzilla reel and hose unit and like them better than the old rubber hose ones.

I like hose reels, but not the automatic retractable ones.  Being a bit of a cleanliness freak, any time a hose gets reeled back in, an old t-shirt (or similar) is held around the hose with one hand, while the other hand winds the reel.  All our hoses are on such reels-from 50' to 200'.  Any time a hose gets pulled out, we know it's clean enough to use anywhere.

copied and pasted:  EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE - All weather flexibility (-40 Degree to 150 Degree F Ambient)

note that you can get about any size hose, and length, with either 1/4", 3/8", or 1/2" threaded ends.   No need for 1/2" ends for anything smaller than a 1" air wrench, which even I don't have.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-Fittings-Lightweight-Hybrid-ZillaGreen/dp/B001C6NC7O

check out the video on that page

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

How do the flexzilla's handle cold? My big issue is that when it's -10 is usually when i need to fill a tire and want my air hose easy to work with.

The coldest my shop gets is 4.5* C, but it's not noticeably stiffer then than it is in the summer.

are they anything like these hoses?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0197S2LJ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just curious. When i get a few $$ i'm gonna trust you guys and try one of these flexzilla things. I need another air hose for replacing tires. It's nice to not have to move my aircompressor.

Chet, on one side of the retractor is a hose end that has allowances on a side plate. Can that hose come out further or is another section of hose needed for a longer reach to the compressor? Thanks

22 hours ago, Chet said:

It is by far the best one I have ever had.  It is light weight, real flexible, it doesn't fight you when you are moving it around.  Its a real soft pliable material.  I have had it over 5 years  and don't see so much as the beginings of a weak or worn spot.  Thee retractor works nice and smooth.  Its a bit pricey but so far worth every penny.

I think the one referred by chestnut is rubber not the hybrid material.

28 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

Can that hose come out further or is another section of hose needed for a longer reach to the compressor?

You would have to get another section of hose.

And I stand corrected, mine is a hybrid polymer... but I am still real happy with it, even if it was made from used sausage casings.:P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

How do the flexzilla's handle cold? My big issue is that when it's -10 is usually when i need to fill a tire and want my air hose easy to work with.

They handle it really well.   I bought a 30' Flexzilla on a reel at Menards maybe 10 years back.   It's extremely flexible in the winter.   I like having the reel, but it's always a pain putting the hose back in and sometimes have to do it 3-4 times as it'll bunch up too high in one spot and not go all the way in.

The cheap clear pvc hose that came with my compressor I'd avoid.   But the reinforced polyurethane I haven't had any problems with.   I have a 1/4" hose in the shop for use on my nail guns and it seems pretty flexible, doesn't get all tangled.   But if you were using all day long on job sites, if you were yanking on it a lot I could see maybe it wouldn't last.

49 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

I like having the reel, but it's always a pain putting the hose back in and sometimes have to do it 3-4 times as it'll bunch up too high in one spot and not go all the way in.

That does occasionally happen to me. When it does, I pull it back out & feed the hose back in, holding it to one side or the other so it coils up on the reel more evenly. It only does it on the last 10' or so. If it got to be an issue, shortening the hose a bit would solve the issue.